none
ZTIApplications / MDT Offline Media / FAT32 / BootStrap.ini - Unable To Set Working Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been making Offline Media USB Sticks and recently have been running into an issue with Offline Media.

I first diskpart a USB Drive into two partitions:   1 x 16GB Fat32 and then 1 x 48GB NTFS.

I then copy the the Boot files and most of the Deploy folder over to the FAT32.  I also set the DEPLOYROOT = the NTFS drive.  (ie.   DeployRoot=E:\Deploy)

That is where I copy the entire DEPLOY folder.

Normally the applications I tested with would install, though I was copying them to both drives.  Though now I have a scenario where the applications do not fit on the FAT32 Partition and I am receiving an error:

CHANGE Directory:   D:\Deploy\Applications\Application Name

WARNING:  UNABLE TO SET WORKING DIRECTORY

Well, my BootStrap says that the working directory should be E:\Deploy and not D:\Deploy which works for finding the WIM file and it installs the OS, though when it goes to do the applications I guess it's always been installing them from the D Drive and I just didn't realize until now.

I would really  like these to install from E so that I may fit as many GB as I need on the NTFS side.

Any assistance with this is appreciated.    

Thank you,

SMB

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hello, 

You don't need to create multiple partitions for using the Media for Deployment. Just do the following things

Navigate to your Deployment share > Control Directory  and find the Settings.xml file.  In the Settings.xml find <SkipWimSplit>True</SkipWimSplit> and change it to <SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit> and Update your media Content and use with Fat32 USB Stick.

Note: Before updating the media content. It's better to once signout from that account then after logged in update the Media Content directly without opening any other Deployment Share Files.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:46 AM
  • JiteshKumar,

Thank you for the response.   That is good information which I was not aware, though it does not answer my direct question.`  Is there a way to have the applications deploy from where I am specifying?  

I set the bootstrap.ini DEPLOYROOT = E:\DEPLOY and the applications are obviously deploying from D:\DEPLOY even though the WIM for the OS is being found on E:\DEPLOY.

Please any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you again for that helpful information.

Schuyler Sandnes

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:38 PM
  • I've always followed the procedure that if I create complete offline media, I never reference any Deployroot.

The method I use to create a USB drive is:

Diskpart
    List Disk
    Select Disk  (disk #)
    clean
    Create partition primary
    Active
    Format fs=ntfs quick
    Assign

Once the Media is created, edit the Bootstrap to remove any reference of a server or location at all. This implies that all of your drivers, applications and OS are within the offline TS.
    All I ever have in my offline media is

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=  (name of your org)

Then I update the Media content and copy over all files from the Content Folder to the USB.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Basically You don't need to provide location in Bootstrap.ini files for Application deployment. Only need to choose all the application in Selection Profile which is in TaskSequence. The location will automatically detect from USB stick during deployment. 
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:03 AM