none
Connecting "Workgroup" W10 PC' s to WSE 2016

Question

• I just downloaded the new WSE 2016 on to a clean (SSD) server with nothing on it.  The whole thing want amazingly easy and fast.  I have previously being using WHS 2011. The similarities between the two give me great comfort!

I have one problem however, for which I don’t see anything immediately written up that would help a newbie.

All my W10 PCs were connected as a “WORKGROUP” (whose name is “Workgroup”)  for the old WHS.  Accessing them from the WHS was simple – just click on the Network Icon in the WHS file explorer. 

With WSE  2016, I can see the WD10 PC’s and their icons in WSE File Explorer. When I click for example, on an Icon it asks for a “Credentials to connect to:- JOHNSCOMPUTER”.

A popup then asks for the password to VITASOFT\john

When I set WSE up I named the DOMAIN “VITASOFT”. 

The password on the WD10 PC does not work.  Clearly I have to change the W10 System Properties from a “Workgroup” to “Member of a Domain”

The problem I have is when I type in VITASOFT as the Domain on the WD10 PC it comes back.

“The specified domain does not exist or could not be reached”

It would not take “VITASOFT.local” either.

What is the trick?

• Edited by monahan_z Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your support for Microsoft product. 

For Windows Server Essentials, it is recommended to connect client computer to Essentials Server via installing/configuring Connector software on the client. The client will be automatically joined to the domain during configuring the Connector. As Essentials Server is domain based environment, some functions(Group Policy, virtual private networks) may be limited if you do not join client to domain.

Detail steps you may reference – Connect computers to the server(this article is applied to previous Essentials Server, but can also be considered as a reference for WS 2016 Essentials):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713510(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_9

Below is another article about “Connecting Client PCs to Windows Server Essentials 2016”, which includes screenshots for each step:
    http://www.wegotserved.com/2016/09/30/connecting-client-pcs-to-windows-server-essentials-2016/2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Reference above links and make sure that you have connected the client to server correctly. Also, using the “Dashboard User” on Essentials server to manage user credentials. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your support for Microsoft product. 

For Windows Server Essentials, it is recommended to connect client computer to Essentials Server via installing/configuring Connector software on the client. The client will be automatically joined to the domain during configuring the Connector. As Essentials Server is domain based environment, some functions(Group Policy, virtual private networks) may be limited if you do not join client to domain.

Detail steps you may reference – Connect computers to the server(this article is applied to previous Essentials Server, but can also be considered as a reference for WS 2016 Essentials):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713510(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_9

Below is another article about “Connecting Client PCs to Windows Server Essentials 2016”, which includes screenshots for each step:
    http://www.wegotserved.com/2016/09/30/connecting-client-pcs-to-windows-server-essentials-2016/2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Reference above links and make sure that you have connected the client to server correctly. Also, using the “Dashboard User” on Essentials server to manage user credentials. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hello there;

I have a similar issue - trying to connect a win10 Pro (previous WHS-2011) to Essentials 2016.  Went through your checklist as per Microsoft (static IP, check; dns, check, etc). 

What happens is this: 

I use the static IP of the server on our Lan as address in the browser on the client.  It connects, asks me to dowload the connector software.  The logon-screen for the server appears & I enter the server user (administrator priv.) and password.  Then this (image not allowed):

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

The server is not available.  Try connecting this computer again."

I have tried to enter both what I know to be the correct password and incorrect ones.  No diiference.  It is as if it rightfully connects with the servers (static) local IP, but it never really checks the entered user/psw.  I tried to disable the firewall - no difference.

Any suggestions, please.  I am running out of ideas here.  Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Sincerely,

gp

Friday, June 8, 2018 3:58 PM