none
Edit Group Policy

Question

• I have a PC that has some power settings pushed out by the default domain policy in an AD environment.

Of course on the local machine I get "some settings are managed by your system adminstrator".

The machine is temporarily no longer in contact with the domain controller (it's been physically moved and not on the same network now) so it can't get updated GPO settings.

I believe that if I edit the local group policy it won't make a difference because of Group policy processing and precedence.

Since it's only temporary away from the AD network, I still want to use the settings of the AD user.

Is there somewhere in the registry that this is stored that I can edit the power plan manually until it can sync back up with the domain? (I just need to prevent it from sleeping while plugged in - it's currently set to 1 hour)

Thanks!

Allen Crist

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:05 PM

Answers

• I found this site:

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#7916

I was able to add a policy to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power using the specs I found on that site. Looks like it solved the issue.

I'll report back if it didn't.

Thanks!

Allen Crist

• Marked as answer by CCWTech Wednesday, July 06, 2016 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Allen,

You'll find the effective policy results under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:22 PM
  • Nothing under there regarding the time to sleep on AC

Allen Crist

This is what's there:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings]
    "ActivePowerScheme"="8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\3C0BC021-C8A8-4E07-A973-6B14CBCB2B7E]
    "ACSettingIndex"=dword:00001c20

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\6738E2C4-E8A5-4A42-B16A-E040E769756E]
    "ACSettingIndex"=dword:00000000

• Edited by CCWTech Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:02 AM
  • I found this site:

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#7916

I was able to add a policy to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power using the specs I found on that site. Looks like it solved the issue.

I'll report back if it didn't.

Thanks!

Allen Crist

• Marked as answer by CCWTech Wednesday, July 06, 2016 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Hi Allen,

You don't need to find the specific setting as such. All you need to do is remove the Power key from under the Policy key and this will free up the settings within Control Panel (though this may require a log off and back on - I can't remember that level of detail), at which point you can go about changing whatever settings you need to - at least until a policy refresh takes place.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi Allen,
    I agree with Lain that you could directly modify power option to prevent from sleeping while plugged in via control panel item when group policy is not restricting. Please see the related screenshots from:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-laptop-going-to-sleep-when-plugged-in/8aa26fc3-ebee-43ab-a99b-da8286788559?auth=1
    The reason why we don’t recommend changing via registry is serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. So please take care if you really need to modify the registry at your own risk.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 6:37 AM
  • The solution I found still keeps the average user from modifying the settings and meets the needs of what my original question was. If I just removed the whole power key the control panel would be open for any user to edit.

Granted, they can still do regedit as I did, but most end users won't mess with it if it's locked down.

Allen Crist

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 12:43 PM
  • No worries, Allen. At least you know you can come back and blat the Power key rather than hunt for specific settings if more settings become issues over time.

Just keep in mind this hack will only help while they're off the network. The second they reconnect (be that directly or via something like DirectAccess) and group policy refreshes, it'll potentially undo this registry-based workaround.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 12:49 PM
  • No worries, Allen. At least you know you can come back and blat the Power key rather than hunt for specific settings if more settings become issues over time.

Just keep in mind this hack will only help while they're off the network. The second they reconnect (be that directly or via something like DirectAccess) and group policy refreshes, it'll potentially undo this registry-based workaround.

Cheers,
    Lain

Thank you!! :-)

Allen Crist

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 12:51 PM