How to reset count for certain programs that moves them up the frequently used programs list in start menu RRS feed

• General discussion

• In Windows 7 when you click the Start menu circle, above All Programs is the frequently used programs list, which appears to change based on frequency of opening each program.  Even if I right-click and remove a program I don't want in there, the next time I open it, it adds it back into the same location/order.

Is there somewhere in the registry to reset the count for that program back to 0 so it'll work it's way back up the list eventually?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, February 1, 2013 4:20 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category
    • Changed type Leo Huang Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:55 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I cannot find any registry to reset the count for program.

But you can try to reset frequently used program list to default first:

Right-click an empty area in the Start menu and select Properties. In the Start Menu tab, click Customize. Configuration options for the Programs list are on the General tab.

Set the "Number of programs on Start" is not set to 0.

If it doesn’t help, try this method

Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Add an empty string value named NoStartPage to the following registry key, where Program name.exe is the name of the executable file that is used to start the program:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Program name.exe

Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Leo Huang Friday, February 1, 2013 6:05 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Thanks Leo.  Wish there was just a way to reset it back to zero, so it doesn't mess up the other programs I have and want that show up in that menu.  Sounds like that NoStartPage would prevent it from ever showing up again though, which isn't truly what I want.
    Friday, February 1, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer this KB:

Programs Removed from the Most Frequently Used Programs List Can Reappear

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282462

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:46 AM
  • thanks for the article, my computer must not be reseting the count properly when i remove the program then
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest to create another administrator and login to see if the same issue occurs.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:21 AM
  • I'd hate to have to start over with a new account.  Do you know where in the registry (assuming it's in the registry) it saves the counts for the programs?  I'd just go manually edit it if I knew where to look.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Also, do you know if I open a program via a batch file, does that increase it's ranking by 1 each time?  Maybe I just need to make a batch file to open and close the programs that keep getting trumped a hundred times
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid there’s no registry to record the program usage count. And usually when you remove it from frequently used list, it will automatically set the count to 0.

And whatever how you open the program, via bat file or just double click to run it, the count should increase.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for all the help Leo.  Guess I'll just live with this "problem" until i'm ready to start a new account up and migrate all my settings.  I do wonder where those counts are stored though if not in the registry.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:22 PM
  • I found a program that clears out that area and used that.  After that, it appears using a batch file to open a program doesn't add it to the menu, it's only when you open the program from with All Programs, just as an FYI.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:42 PM