WDP will not turn on 'WDP installation was not successful' RRS feed

• Question

• For the past 6 months we have been running tests with WSS2.5 solely for WDP. We currently use the MSCT version of disk protection on roughly 1000 XP Pro SP2 machines with few problems. We would like to upgrade to SP3 and WSS is obviously required if we want to keep using WDP. 

I am seeing a similar problem to what others are experiencing with the 'WDP installation was not successful' message after running sysprep, creating a ghost image, and attempting to turn WDP on with the command  "C:\Program files\Windows SteadyState\sctui.exe" /EnableWDPAndReboot from a batch file. 

I believe that our problem lies within our image creation process. I have added our process below. From what I have read you must defrag after you install WSS and make any changes to the machine, and then reboot prior to turning WDP on. As you can see, we would like to uninstall all devices prior to imaging the machine because we will be using one image for several different makes and models. The problem is that in order to run sysprep and create the image, we have to defrag, reboot, uninstall all devices and then run sysprep. (If we uninstall the devices, defrag, and reboot prior to running sysprep, the machine will recognize the system devices and re-install before we can run sysprep).

Is there a way to make WDP turn on with the 'EnableWDPandReboot switch while still having the ability to uninstall devices prior to running sysprep and creating the image without intervention at every machine? Do you see something in our image creation process that is waving a red flag? Like I said, we will be using WSS on 1000+ machines if we can get this process to work on multiple platforms with one image. I have read and tried multiple solutions from this forum and other sites with no promising outcomes. Running chkdsk, starting in safemode, deleting the cache file (if its there), and rebooting every machine is not an option.

From a fresh Windows XP Pro SP2 install:
    - Change Control Panel to Classic View
    - Disable desktop cleanup wizard
    - Disable Fast User Switching
    - Disable Windows Firewall
    - Disable Windows Security Center notifications
    - View hidden files and file extensions
    - Uninstall games, MSN Explorer, and Outlook Express
    - Enable Remote Desktop
    - Turn off Automatic Updates
    - Create c:\imageVersion#.txt and indicate image changes
    - Disable Flash Player update
    - Go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html
    - Clear the check for Notify me when an update to Adobe Flash Player is available.
    - Copy C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Macromedia to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users profile
    - Set the refresh rate to at least 75Hz / resolution to 1024x768
    - Verify .tif & .jpg file associations
    - Disable Acrobat updates
    - Help -> Check for updates -> wait -> Preferences
    - Run VLC Player
    - Disable automatic downloads
    - Start menu setup in the Administrator profile
    - Small icons
    - Clear list
    - Pin Windows SteadyState to the start menu
    - Sort by name
    - Remove My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, and Set Program Access and Default
    - Clear check for Highlight newly installed programs and List my most recently opened documents
    - SteadyState setup
    - Edit the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters
    - Add DontWarnOnDiscard DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
    - Add to domain
    - Setup ODBC connection for refreshable reports
    - Set the Terminal Services and Secondary Logon services to start automatically
    - Grant modify permissions of c:\oracle\ora92, c:\program files\avaya, and c:\program files\quest software to domain users
    - Run MSConfig to remove unnecessary startup programs
    - Check time/time zone
    - Copy local profile over Default User
    - Delete test local account
    - Setup scheduled tasks
    - 2200h, daily, c:\admin\restart.bat
    - 2300h, daily, c:\admin\nightlyUpdateLocalCOPS.bat
    - Copy c:\admin\nightlyUpdateLocalCOPS.bat from \\servername\sharename\TechOps\filesReferencedByScripts
    - Reset driver cache
    - Del c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups and c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    - Run the command: REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\setup /v "Installation Sources" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d C:\d /f
    - Sysprep
    - Copy driver files
    - \\servername\sharename\windowsSupportTools\windowsXPServicePack3DeploymentTools\desktop-d to c:\d
    - Copy sysprep files
    - \\servername\sharename\windowsSupportTools\windowsXPServicePack3DeploymentTools\sysprep to c:\sysprep
    - Move sysprep.inf
    - c:\d to c:\sysprep
    - Remove paging file
    - System Properties -> Advanced -> Settings -> Advanced tab -> Change -> No paging file -> Set -> OK
    - Remove from domain
    - Reboot
    - Remove from network
    - Defrag the hard drive
    - Reboot
    - Uninstall devices
    - Device Manager -> right-click -> Uninstall -> OK
    - DO NOT REBOOT (if you do, go back to "Reset paging file")
    - Disk drives, display adapters, DVD/CD-ROM drives, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, IEEE 1394 bus host controllers, modems, network adapters, processors, secure digital host controllers, audio
    - Exclude the VPN network connection
    - Reset paging file
    - Regedit -> HKLM\system\currentControlSet\Control\Session Mangaer\Memory Management | PagingFiles REG_MULTI_SZ value = C:\pagefile.sys 0 0
    - Click Start -> click Run -> type c:\sysprep\sysprep –reseal –mini

Friday, August 14, 2009 3:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi mtbjunkie, thanks for the post. Does the WDP issue occur on every machine? I believe that we cannot make any change to the system including install/uninstall device drivers without using administrator privilege, commit changes.

Also, for the steps:  

-          Change Control Panel to Classic View (This can be done in SteadyState restrictions)

-          Disable Fast User Switching (By default, this should be disabled after installing SteadyState)

-          Turn off Automatic Updates (Please note that after turning on WDP, Schedule Software Updates should be enabled by default, including Automatic Updates.)

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Sean,

Yes. This issue has occured on every machine we have cloned with the imaged created. From your message it sounds like you are under the impression that we have at some point turned WDP on. This is not the case however. We simply followed the setps above to create an image, then cloned a machine with that image and tried to turn WDP on for the first time. That is when we receive the message 'WDP installation was not successful'. I did start in safe mode, remove the cache file, defrag, reboot, and try to turn on WDP but received the same message. 

I understand that the cache file is very sensitive, but in our case it has not been created when we attempt to turn on WDP as it is the very first time WDP has been attempted to be enabled. So this should not be a problem.  

When the file cache file is created, is it created using the free fragmented area's of the HDD and then the unfragmented portions? If uninstalling the devices after the defrag and reboot is the problem (because uninstalling the devices would fragment the drive again) is there a way to create the cache file on a separate partition or tell it not to use fragmented sections of the HDD? I seem to remember seeing that it cannot be configured this way. As always, any help would be appreciated.

Shannon
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Hi Shannon, thanks for the update.

I’d like to inform you that we cannot configure the cache file and set it on a non-system partition. From the previous steps, I didn’t find the root cause of the error message. I’d like to share several threads regarding deployment of Windows system with SteadyState and WDP:

do you have to run sysprep when making an image

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/fd6943fd-bced-47d2-bf2a-3e79c1f1a786/

Multiple Disk imaging and SteadyState

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/bf450d9f-62dc-4822-ba1c-04e3bdae9c95/

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, August 24, 2009 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:16 AM