none
Windows Defender Real-time Protection Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm running Windows 10 with all current updates installed.  I ran into an issue 2 days ago.  Windows Defender Real-time Protection is using over 50% of my CPU and completely killing my internet access.  The majority of web-pages simply won't load and those that do take far too long.  

If I turn off real-time protection the issue disappears, as soon as I re-enable it the problem reappears.  I've tried System Restore but with no luck.

Any ideas?  

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:30 AM

All replies

• Run a full scan and let that complete see if that helps the situation.

If not have a look at System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot (guide by Team ZigZag) about checking the system.

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:22 PM
  • In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, May 23, 2016 10:31 PM
  • Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled or did you upgrade a Win8.1 computer or a Win7 computer [PICK ONE] to Win10?

Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, May 23, 2016 10:44 PM
  • My PC came with Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10 in November 2015.  I did run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool.  

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Tried all of these solutions but no difference.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:48 AM
  • Needarp,

Please read the WIKI article shared by Team Zigzag again, then if available, upload the trace into OneDrive, and post the shared link here, we will help to take a look.

For 3rd-party anti-virus, it si a little diffcult to remove them completely.

To make sure there is no 3rd-party files running, please check this issue under clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/331796

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Here's the link to my trace file. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B64FkS0i3QL4WU9CTjluUVgzMlk 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:31 PM