none
Using multiple Resource Pools RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using MSProject 2003 Standard.   We have 3 offices each with their own sharedrive.  I'd like each office to use their own resource pool but for me to be able to consolidate each resource pool so I can get an overview of resource usage across the 3 offices as a number of staff are working in more than one office.  Is this possible and how?

thanks in advance

Monday, August 8, 2011 5:32 AM

Answers

• Sorry, any one project can only belong to one resource pool. However, you can create a new master project with all projects inserted. When inserting, make sure the Link option is deselected. This then consolidates all resource data.

Record a macro of you doing this (make sure File, New is the first recorded command) and creating a new master weekly is an easy process.

If teh network is slow, consider copying all the files to your C: drive first. You can do that in VBA as well.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:29 AM

All replies

• Sorry, any one project can only belong to one resource pool. However, you can create a new master project with all projects inserted. When inserting, make sure the Link option is deselected. This then consolidates all resource data.

Record a macro of you doing this (make sure File, New is the first recorded command) and creating a new master weekly is an easy process.

If teh network is slow, consider copying all the files to your C: drive first. You can do that in VBA as well.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:29 AM
  • I like Rod's suggestion.  You also want to be sure each office is using the same naming convention for resources, else you will be sorting out the differences between Tom Smith, Smith Tom, TSmith, etc.

Monday, August 8, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thank you will give it a go
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:22 AM