Can't enable S4B after removing Hyrbid on prem Lync server RRS feed

• Question

• We recently just migrated from On Prem Lync to Office 365 Skype for Business...Migration went great... however once we turned off the on-prem Lync server, new users were not able to get provisioned in Cloud.  Users get provisioned by being part of an AD group that licenses the user for O365 services.  If you're in that group you get licensed...email and skype should work.

Symtoms

When the on prem Lync server is OFF, any new users created on prem successfully Syncs to cloud, gets email, but you see them in the S4B admin console.  You can see them in O365 and Exchange console for email.

When the on prem Lync server is ON, new users created on prem successful syncs to cloud, get email, ..this time you CAN see them in S4B console, however under directory status they show as "IN CLOUD" instead of "Sync'd".  And their S4B doesn't work.

As a work around we have to enable the user for Lync ON PREM then migrate them to S4B in cloud then it works.  Goal obviously is to get rid on On Prem Lync...

Seems like there is some problem in the cloud enabling the on prem sync'd account  with S4B.

What are we missing here? Where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

C

-C-

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According your description, if I understand correctly, do you mean that you created some on-prem AD users (not enable Skype for Business), and synced them to Online, then assigned Online services license to them?

Do you create these user accounts in online before?

I think you may first refer to the steps in this link to see if it helps:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fasttracktips/2017/08/24/skype-online-cutover-migration/

http://blog.insidelync.com/2018/01/tips-for-transitioning-from-skype-for-business-hybrid-to-pure-online/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Monday, July 9, 2018 10:06 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 8:11 AM
  • These are brand new users, never been created before.

Yes....create on prem...Sync to cloud, get licensed and provisioned, however the directory status in the Link Admin console says "IN CLOUD"  .. the directory status should say "SYNC'D"  

-C-

Friday, June 8, 2018 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

if you assign synced user SFB license, they will be shown as In cloud in Lync/SFB admin. It should work to do it this way, at least it works for us.

Have you assigned Skype license manually? Maybe your script is doing something else than assigning license.

For Exchange online, this is a bit different. If you are in Hybrid, you need to migrate mailbox BEFORE assigning them license. Otherwise you wont be able to change their Exchange attributes and they will become cloud only mailbox. THis will then cause an issue that on-premises mailboxes will not be able to send email to cloud mailboxes. At least not with the default configuration

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Monday, July 9, 2018 10:05 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 5:44 AM
  • License is assigned by being in an AD group on premise.  Once the account is in the group and sync, license is automatically applied.  But it still shows "IN CLOUD" ..it should show "Sync'd"

-C-

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my testing, if you do not assign user Skype for Business license, you could not see them in Skype for Business admin console.

About your scenario, I think there may be some mistake to assign Skype for Business license on users.

And about the “In Cloud” status, according my research, if the user is deleted from the synced on-premise OU then restored on Online side, this status may happen.

I think you could try to use a different OU, manually sync a user to Online, and check if the scenario is correct.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:47 AM
  • Hi, 

Have a nice day!

If there is any update, feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Monday, July 2, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Monday, July 9, 2018 10:06 AM