Unable to open or edit checked out file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I tried adding a reply to another question because I am not able to resolve this according to the answer given, but didn't get a response so I'm hoping posting it as a new question will help. What happens form me is that

1. I upload a MS file (excel, word) and check it in. Then, I click on the file name and the file opens.
    2. BUT, then, if I check it out (via the drop down menu from the file) and try to open the file by clicking on the filename in the library, nothing happens. It simply flashes/refreshes the library window and never opens the MS application or the file.
    3. HOWEVER, if I open the MS application as if I was going to create a new file directly in Excel/Word and leave it open to a blank, new file then return to the SP library and click on the checked out file's name, it opens in the application just fine.

To my knowledge, this doesn't happen for anyone else. I've tried it on my test machine and everything works as it should.

Here's what I'm running

• MOSS 2007 Enterprise Version 12.0.0.6562
    • Office 2007
    • tried file types MS Excel and Word for 2003 AND 2007 (both error in the same way)
    • 2 WFEs, 1 SQL (2005) server
    • 2 AD domains trusted
    • CU June 2011 for WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007
    • Dell laptop  - new - Lat 6410 I think

I have checked the following:

• The document is in the SharePoint draft folder
    • I (the user who uploaded the file and checked it in and then out again) has full ownership of the draft folder and therefore full security access to it
    • No one else has it checked out
    • It is checked out to me with my correct NT user ID
    • It's happening across sites, accross libraries, across MS file types.
    • It's only me on my laptop that I experience this, to my knowledge.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This seems to be strange. According your narration, the cause may related to Office. I saw someone encounter this issue and fix it by running Office Diagnostics which is a tool in Office Tools. You can also give it a shot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by LisaJo48 Friday, November 11, 2011 2:52 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Fixed it! I was beginning to think the same thing as you since nothing I'd read about had worked so far, so I ran the Repair option on Office via Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and that did the trick. 

It is very likely that the Office Diagnostics would have achieved the same result, so I'm going to mark your response as a solution as well as mine.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time. Sometimes all I need is some 'validation' that my problem is truly weird and not just User Stupidity (i.e. me!)

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This seems to be strange. According your narration, the cause may related to Office. I saw someone encounter this issue and fix it by running Office Diagnostics which is a tool in Office Tools. You can also give it a shot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Fixed it! I was beginning to think the same thing as you since nothing I'd read about had worked so far, so I ran the Repair option on Office via Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and that did the trick. 

It is very likely that the Office Diagnostics would have achieved the same result, so I'm going to mark your response as a solution as well as mine.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time. Sometimes all I need is some 'validation' that my problem is truly weird and not just User Stupidity (i.e. me!)

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:52 PM