none
Site Template Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2013

I have created a Custom Project site template and only added a few links to the page.  I checked permissions and it is inheriting permissions; this is what I want and expected.  Saved this as a template and DID NOT select "unique permissions".

I attach this template to an EPT and create a project with this EPT.  The project site auto-creates and when I check its permissions it only has 3 unique permission groups (Member, Owners, Visitors).  I have to click "Inherit Permissions" to get the parent permissions to sync.

What am I missing?  I simply want all project sites to inherit permissions from the parent site (basically I want everyone to have permission to all created project sites).

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:23 PM

All replies

• Permission can not be inherited through Site template.

You can create list type, change look and field and do other customization it will be same for all the project site as it is.

but as far as permission is concerned it does not supported by project site template. By default it will inherit permission from PWA not from your Custom Project site template.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:31 PM
  • So that is interesting.  Why would every project I create simply make a site with no permissions?  I have everyone setup in WPA and actively working.  The sites create with the 3 groups I mentioned but no one in them.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Hi cdub22,

Are you using the Sharepoint permission mode (default mode when you provision the instance) or the project server permission mode? In case you are using the Project Server permission mode, permissions for the project site are mapped on the project permissions. Meaning that users that can access your project plan (and only those users) can access the associated project site. If you want to give access to other users, the most straight-forward way to do it is to add the user in the project build team.

Here is the technet article for differences between the 2 permission modes.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:40 PM
  • When you create project in PWa it create project site which add user in project site from project team.All the user who will be in team of that project will get access automatically.

Only issue is that if you create any group and give permission to project site template it will not reflect in project sites which will use that template.

project site template is  help full when you want to create any custom list, Column, look and feel etc and want that in every project site.

You can configure project site provision setting from Server setting. Where yo can either opt Automatically give access to all the Project team mate from Build team , It will sync the user permission for project site when ever you will publish that project

or

Manual in which you have to add user manually and give permission in project site. 

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:40 PM
  • I am using SharePoint permission mode.

What we essentially have are 5-10 people creating 4-5 projects each per week.  When they create a project it creates the associated project site and the only permissions are myself (admin).  I have to go in to each project site and click "delete unique permissions" to get it to inherit from parent site "or" I can simply add our project team AD group to the members group in the unique permissions.  Both are extremely annoying to have to do.  It just seems like there should be a way of saying "Hey, project server, anytime I use this EPT, create the site and give these people access by default."

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:45 PM
  • I understand your concern.

I'd suggest you to switch to project server permission mode, or at least to read the documentation to confirm (or not) if it suits more to your needs. It might be much more easy and flexible to manage.

Here is the link I actually forgot to give you in my previous post:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161361.aspx

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:49 PM
  • IN sharepoint permission mode "Permissions inheritance for PWA and Project Sites"

It means you have to add user and give permission manually in PWA SharePoint group. 

If you will chnage the permisison mode from sharepoint to project server mode then you just need to create project team and once you will publish the project all the team mate will get the access automatically.

You can configure project site provision setting from Server setting. Where yo can select automatic sync the user from project site. then you have to only add user in the project team and publish the project then user will get the access to project site.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Just to add on Kirtesh and Guillaume excellent replies, in case you can't use Project Server Permission Mode. Then you can develop a event handler on WSSCreated event which will automatically add your selected security groups from parent PWA site to your Project Team Site.

Similar application I have uploaded here "http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/projectserver/Add-custom-security-group-d823c202".

Above application is adding 1 custom "Designer" group present in Parent PWA site to Project Team Site whenever a Project Team Site is created.

You can customize the application based on your requirement.

Note: This application I have tested only in 2007 environment, but I don't think so it will ask big changes to work in 2013 environment.

Thanks much and let me know in case have any doubts.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Hi there, wondering if you ever got this figured out?  Thanks!  - Bridget
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:02 PM