Losing connection to remote mapped network drive when failing over to secondary wan connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

there is a file server in a remote site we have shared a folder on it . Users in HQ get the drive mapped when they log in via group policy.

The issue is when the remote site fails over to their secondary ( backup ) wan link connection they lose connection to mapped drive .

-security permissions are fine as they are working on primary link

-firewall rules are set correctly 

-I can still ping the server by name and ip address

-drive is mapped with IP ( \\10.x.x.x\share )

-I shared a folder on another server in same network at remote site , same results

-restarted SERVER service / rebooted server / logged off and logged back in user , same result

FYI server is windows server 2012 r2 fully patched .

if anyone could help that would be appreciated. 

cheers

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What exactly error message it shows for losing connection?

If you directly try to access the ipaddress path \\10.x.x.x\share, what's results? Error message?

If temporarily disable firewall to do a check, same results?

If you run "telnet yourserver 445" with your servers name from a clients command line, do you get a connection or an error?

Please also try to update you network driver to the latest from manufacturer website and check the issue again.

And please also check the thread discussed before, maybe also check your WAN device.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ef232016-0f87-4252-ae65-a101534ed1ea/can-ping-server-but-cannot-map-network-drive

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:04 AM
  • Hi Mary,

Error I get is "Network path cannot be found error" 

-same error when I try to access the path via ip.

-I disabled local firewall on file server and added a rule on HQ firewall to allow all traffic through and when I test it I can see traffic coming through and besides, same firewall rule works perfect when I am routing through via primary link cos source address/interface and  dest address/interface is not changed.

-checked the server was listening on port 445 .I did telnet to port 445 and established!!! 

-Checked the thread you sent and found "netsh int isa set state disabled" working for some people so gonna try that one and as your advice will update my nic on my image .

I think this might have something to do with SMB cache or something still waiting for last route .... 

to test this I have to kill their current BGP connection which makes a 120 sec disconnection that has to be done out of working hours. I try them tonight and update the thread. 

thanks Mary.

Regards,

Iman

Monday, May 28, 2018 12:00 AM
  • Hi,

If you have the updates, please feel free to contact us.

And if it still no clue, you could consider to capture the network package to check if we could find more clue.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:27 AM