Exchange DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We have Exchange 2013 DAG at Primary site and secondary site (DR) and connected via a MPLS link.  Both Exchange node are activate serve users. Witness is currently configure at Primary site. 

We are planning to shift secondary site DR to another co-location and will turn off the servers at DR site totally including the Exch.  

How long does DR Exchange DAG can be offline actually? Do they have any thombstone setting that I need to take care of? I ask as we might down the DR Exch DAG for long and only able to turn it back ON in next 4-6 weeks later. 

Pls help to provide Microsoft article link if there is any.  Thanks.  

Friday, September 14, 2018 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

We have Exchange 2013 DAG at Primary site and secondary site (DR) and connected via a MPLS link.  Both Exchange node are activate serve users. Witness is currently configure at Primary site. 

We are planning to shift secondary site DR to another co-location and will turn off the servers at DR site totally including the Exch.  

How long does DR Exchange DAG can be offline actually? Do they have any thombstone setting that I need to take care of? I ask as we might down the DR Exch DAG for long and only able to turn it back ON in next 4-6 weeks later. 

4-6 weeks is way too long for them to be down. You wont be able to truncate logs on the primary.

Remove the DR mbx servers from the DAG, then re-add them once they are back up

Friday, September 14, 2018 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

By default the machine account password change is initiated by computer itself every 30 days. If the machine is powered off for way too long, the secure channel may brake and the message "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" may be displayed.

As for the Exchange Servers, short periods won't harm as there as their database copies are suspended.

Sources:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24644.detailed-concepts-secure-channel-explained.aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/manage-ha/manage-database-copies

• Marked as answer by Kitoro Monday, September 17, 2018 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

4-6 weeks is way too long for them to be down. You wont be able to truncate logs on the primary.

Remove the DR mbx servers from the DAG, then re-add them once they are back up

• Hi,

By default the machine account password change is initiated by computer itself every 30 days. If the machine is powered off for way too long, the secure channel may brake and the message "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" may be displayed.

As for the Exchange Servers, short periods won't harm as there as their database copies are suspended.

Sources:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24644.detailed-concepts-secure-channel-explained.aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/manage-ha/manage-database-copies

• Marked as answer by Kitoro Monday, September 17, 2018 12:03 PM