All Partitions On Hard Drive Are Deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys 
    Ok so I was having some issues with downgrading to win7 from win8(cuz win8 sux for me), and I used a partition editor called Gparted to apparently fix the issue. I deleted all partitions on my hard drive, including the ones reserved by the OEM and all the others.
    Now its like there's absolutely nothin on my hard drive.
    After doing all that, I successfully booted my win7 dvd, but because the setup was acting weird(win7 files were copied in like a sec, which in kinda not possible) I restarted my laptop by holding the power button down. 
    After that I get the "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message. 
    I can not boot anything on my laptop anymore. Neither the win7 setup dvd nor Gparted. That message just keeps popping up when I restart using the keys indicated.

Can anyone please help me.
    I will greatly appreciate that.
    Thanks guys
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:30 AM

Answers

•  Hi 

Here are some tips for you to get rid of missing MBR issue. Use windows installation cd or you can use windows recovery image if you have made it

earlier . you will have to make changes to BIOS if you are not familiar with it . Inset the CD and restart the computer automatically it will give the option

later on you well get a windows that will ask you to install or Repair. so select the Repair option and Next windows would ask you to enter the admin pass

word. After entering the Admin password you will get window with many options the last option would be command prompt . In command prompt you need

to type "bootrec /fixmbr" I would you suggest you to run some more command . The error massage you mentioned that is for master boot. so that cmd should

fix that issue. Here are some more commands to get it fixed 

/FIXBOOT The /FIXBOOT switch writes a new boot sector onto the system partition 

/SCANOS The /SCANOS switch scans all disks for Windows installations and displays entries currently not in the BCD store.

•  BCD store.
    • /REBUILDBCD The /REBUILDBCD switch scans all disks for Windows installations and provides a choice of which entries to add to the BCD store.

hope this helps. 

• Proposed as answer by Vincent Wang-MCSC Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, December 3, 2012 9:19 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I deleted all partitions on my hard drive, including the ones reserved by the OEM and all the others.

After that I get the "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message. 
    I can not boot anything on my laptop anymore. Neither the win7 setup dvd nor Gparted. That message just keeps popping up when I restart using the keys indicated.

When you want to test drive a new operating system then by far the best method is to use a separate disk. Its cost is negligible when compared to the time and effort required to completely rebuild an installation. If this is not acceptable then creating and verifying an image prior to installing the new OS would also save you.

If you keep getting the missing boot manager message then this is caused by one of the following:

• You are not pressing the appropriate key required for the boot selection.
    • You press it too late.
    • Your keyboard is defective.
    • The CD drive is marginal or defective.
    • Your boot CD is damaged.

All of the above are hardware, now Windows problems. You might get further useful hints in a hardware forum.

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

•  Hi 

Here are some tips for you to get rid of missing MBR issue. Use windows installation cd or you can use windows recovery image if you have made it

earlier . you will have to make changes to BIOS if you are not familiar with it . Inset the CD and restart the computer automatically it will give the option

later on you well get a windows that will ask you to install or Repair. so select the Repair option and Next windows would ask you to enter the admin pass

word. After entering the Admin password you will get window with many options the last option would be command prompt . In command prompt you need

to type "bootrec /fixmbr" I would you suggest you to run some more command . The error massage you mentioned that is for master boot. so that cmd should

fix that issue. Here are some more commands to get it fixed 

/FIXBOOT The /FIXBOOT switch writes a new boot sector onto the system partition 

/SCANOS The /SCANOS switch scans all disks for Windows installations and displays entries currently not in the BCD store.

•  BCD store.
    • /REBUILDBCD The /REBUILDBCD switch scans all disks for Windows installations and provides a choice of which entries to add to the BCD store.

hope this helps. 

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I deleted all partitions on my hard drive, including the ones reserved by the OEM and all the others.

When you want to test drive a new operating system then by far the best method is to use a separate disk. Its cost is negligible when compared to the time and effort required to completely rebuild an installation. If this is not acceptable then creating and verifying an image prior to installing the new OS would also save you.

If you keep getting the missing boot manager message then this is caused by one of the following:

• You are not pressing the appropriate key required for the boot selection.
    • You press it too late.
    • Your keyboard is defective.
    • The CD drive is marginal or defective.
    • Your boot CD is damaged.

All of the above are hardware, now Windows problems. You might get further useful hints in a hardware forum.

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:52 PM