none
Setting up a common start menu layout in 2012 R2 terminal server with Server 2016 Domain Controllers.

Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a common start menu layout in a 2012 R2 terminal server but cannot seem to get the GPO to apply.  

I logged in as a user, setup the start menu the way I need it and ran export-startlayout powershell command and saved the file to c:\startlayout\startlayout.xml on the terminal server.

in group policy I have both the user and computer configuration of "start layout" enabled and set to c:\startlayout\startlayout.xml When I logon as a user, I do not see any changes to the start menu layout at all.

I'm at a loss as to why this isn't working.  I did find in Server 2016 the GPO option is "Start Layout" under both "user config\policy\admin template\start menu and taskbar" and "computer config\policy\admin template\start menu and taskbar " but in technet articles on server 2012 r2 I see the policy option is called "Start Menu Layout".  Wondering if the change in name on server 2016 causes server 2012 r2 not to recognize it?

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:34 PM

All replies