none
Windows Server Essentials Connector Download and Installation

Question

• I am trying to install the Windows Sever 2012 Essentials Connector on a Windows 7 Professional  x64 (SP1) client. The download  instructions are attached. I have tired both the Windows 6.1 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64 download and both don't install on my client. Which download should I use for my Windows 7 client?

Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further analyze, would you please let me confirm whether it’s a Windows Server 2012 Essentials or a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials?

Based on your description, I guess that you download the Connector from this link. This Connector software helps you connect your PC or Mac client to Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Windows Server Essentials Experience server role enabled.

The Connector software is installed when you connect a computer to the Windows Server Essentials server by using the Connect a Computer to the Server Wizard. You can start this wizard by typing http://<servername>/connect, where <servername> is the name of your server. If your computer is at a remote location outside of the Windows Server Essentials network, to run the Connect a Computer to the Server Wizard, type http://<domainname>/connect in the address bar of your web browser (where <domainname> is the domain name of your organization). For more details, please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Get Connected in Windows Server Essentials

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further analyze, would you please let me confirm whether it’s a Windows Server 2012 Essentials or a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials?

Based on your description, I guess that you download the Connector from this link. This Connector software helps you connect your PC or Mac client to Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Windows Server Essentials Experience server role enabled.

The Connector software is installed when you connect a computer to the Windows Server Essentials server by using the Connect a Computer to the Server Wizard. You can start this wizard by typing http://<servername>/connect, where <servername> is the name of your server. If your computer is at a remote location outside of the Windows Server Essentials network, to run the Connect a Computer to the Server Wizard, type http://<domainname>/connect in the address bar of your web browser (where <domainname> is the domain name of your organization). For more details, please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Get Connected in Windows Server Essentials

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:46 AM
  • I've been through all that with two separate WS2012R2 servers.  One, an HP ML110 G7 with associated server software I'm setting up for a client of mine and the other machine, with a retail licence copy, my own for learning the ropes for managing such a server.  The main requirement is connecting a heap of Windows 10 Pro laptops to the server as a files server.  So I'm trying out my own Win10Pro machine, a desktop, as a test client.  When I attempted to connect to the HP it all happened without any dramas - good you would say and yes I would agree.  But what I'm worried about is my own test machine.  I can't get connection!  I even started over and reinstalled the OS because previous fiddling I had done to the previous installation I may have damaged it/corrupted it - had too many questions about it.  I could download the connector from my test server using the above URL http://<servername>/connect.  When I run it I get an error message, "an unexpected error has occurred, to resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network".  Unfortunately that person is me!  :-\

If I change the compatibility setting to Windows 8 the connector software gets a bit further.  It presents a license popup and I agree but then it throws the error message, "Windows Server Essentials Connector has not been installed because ... Cannot start the WSE Connector Configuration Wizard ...Try starting it manually.  If the issue persists contact your network administrator".

Thus I can't get connected to my test server.  How would one rung that wizard manually?  Any clues.

Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Iam a bit confused.  You connected your desktop to the HP server no problems.

Then you tried to install the same desktop to a different server and it failed?

You reinstalled the software on what, the second server?

Grey

Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:31 AM
  • Not intending to confuse but that's what happened in this workshop!  Now overnight it occurred to me that the installer DVD for my own machine was produced by an iso image file produced back in 2014.  I'm thinking perhaps there was a bug in that release.  I've noticed that people who had similar experiences to me all posted similar questions back then.  What I'm going to do now is get a fresh download of WS2012R2 and reinstall yet again and see if the problem goes away.

Meantime I can get on with working up the HP for production use.  Its installation DVD was produced in more recent times.

Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:37 PM
  • It is close to impossible to burn a good dvd.  Make a bootable thumb drive and copy the extracted iso to it

Grey

Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:29 AM
  • I do have that thumb drive with the iso on it but my machine would not boot from it!  But my thinking now before getting back to that if necessary is from browsing many links (driven by looking for a solution and coming across some peculiarities) is realising I have to apply a whole stack of updates - there's a set directly addressing this connector problem.

An observation over the last 24h: this troublesome server had 27 automatic Windows Updates whereas the HP server which doesn't have this problem only had two.  Then this morning looking at the update history I noted a couple of updates which said KB... (*without* KB2919355) and in the support page it said that is a key update to be applied to fix this problem.  Here's the URL of that Support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2919355/windows-rt-8-1--windows-8-1--and-windows-server-2012-r2-update-april-2  Certain updates can't be applied until some other updates are applied first...  Oh boy!

So the view I've formed is that this WS2012R2 installer did have bugs in it which the updates were released to fix.  I looked for a more recently released installer iso but couldn't find a spot.  The Microsoft Evaluation site the official download site was off-line.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:53 PM
  • The problem is the clients change so you have to also keep the server(s) up to date

If your server is too old to boot from USB it is too old for this :)

Grey

Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:58 PM
  • Now I can connect!!  Horray!

What happened to get that change?  An absolutely massive number of updates - around 200 large and small in terms of kB or MB.  Up to yesterday it still would not connect but there were "6 important updates" to apply so I applied them.  Just before posting this I tried downloading the connector again and running it and this time it went through and I had connection!

Another significant observation: the downloaded connector from the HP server was 303kB in size whereas from my own server, to which I could not connect, stayed at 296kB until I downloaded the fresh one from my own server today.  It was now also 303kB in size.  I said to myself before running it "now it'll work" and it did!

So my own copy did have a bug in it.  Well a bug for client connection.  Actually looking at the list of fixes those 200 updates were for was a list longer than one's arm.  The list of bugs were mind numbing!

Now it's worth taking a whole disk backup of the installation so that if I have a disk crash or some other failure I won't have to go through all that again.

Thanks for your interest.

• Edited by vbien38 Monday, December 11, 2017 11:18 AM to fix couple of typos
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:08 AM