Unable to view Project Detail Page from Project Center RRS feed

• Question

• I'm reposting this to clarify the title and provide more info.

I am not able to view Project Details when clicking on a project name in Project Center.  From the admin login I get an error dialog "Unable to open project, no valid Project Detail Page could be found for the project.".  A Team Member-level user login gets an "Error: Access Denied" page. 

This is a completely new, clean installation of Project Server 2010 RTM (not an upgrade, not RC), and the project was created and published with Project Professional 2010 RTM.  Same behavior with a project created entirely within PWA.   PWA is a trusted site in IE.  Project Server 2007 Compatibility Mode is disabled (greyed out, actually). 

Is anyone else seeing this?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Friday, May 7, 2010 3:15 PM

Answers

• OK, I think I've figured it out.  If the Project Detail Page is set to "schedule" in the Enterprise Project Type, the user (or user's group) must have "Open Project" allowed.  In the default Team Member, it's not enabled.  If the PDP is set to Project Information or Project Detail, then Open Project isn't needed.  

- L

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• Langhorne:

The error typically indicates exactly what it says,  "that there is no valid PDP for the project type." When you create a new project in Project 2010, and do not otherwise specify the project type by creating the project from PWA, the system uses the default "Basic Project Plan" project type. There are a number of reasons why you might see this error such as you "patially" implemented the departments feature in Project Server, and you haven't attributed everything that reuqires attribution in order for things to work. For example, if you assigned all resources to departments, and you did not assign your Project Types to departments, then the system would throw this error. The same thing would happen if you assigned departments to the project type but failed to assign resources to the department. Department filtering applies to everyone in the system including administrators. Another possibility is that you or someone else edited the Basic Project Plan project type so that the Project Information PDP is no longer associated with the project type or someone edited the PDP in a way to cause the problem.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    • Marked as answer by Langhorne Monday, May 10, 2010 1:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Langhorne Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:33 PM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Your final sentence did the trick, Gary, thanks as always.  Interestingly, I hadn't done anything with the Basic Project Plan type at all; it came out of the box with the "Available Project Detail Pages" empty, which apparently triggered the problem.  After I put something in there it's fine. 

- L.

Monday, May 10, 2010 1:30 PM
  • New adventure... it turns out that it works when viewing from an admin account, but a basic "Team Member" login still gets the "Error: Access Denied" page.  I've checked what I think are all of the security settings, and Team Members have all the default settings including "View Project Schedule in Project Web App" permission.  The Project Detail Permissions settings allow Team Member view access.  Are there other settings I should be looking for?  Is there a set of steps published somewhere to step through all the new Workflow and Project Detail Pages configurations?  Thanks.

- L.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:34 PM
  • That's odd, haven't seen that before
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:21 PM
  • In 2010, Team Members by default have the "New Project" global permission, so they should be able to see this page for any new project that they "propose/create" in PWA. Also, they have category permissions under My Tasks for View Project Schedule in Project Web App, View Project Site and View Project Summary in Project Center. So they will only be able to see projects that they created or projects for which they have assignments using the OOB settings.

Does this help you understand what you are seeing?

Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:27 PM
  • OK, I think I've figured it out.  If the Project Detail Page is set to "schedule" in the Enterprise Project Type, the user (or user's group) must have "Open Project" allowed.  In the default Team Member, it's not enabled.  If the PDP is set to Project Information or Project Detail, then Open Project isn't needed.  

- L

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Just to point out I had exactly the same problem as above.

First ever project - had to add "Schedule" to the enterprise project types.

But thanks for the answer

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:03 PM