none
Transport level error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I'm trying pull the data using temp table and inserting data into the temp table but receiving a following error. 

Is there way I can resolve it, I can share script it can be needed. 

Msg 64, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:09 PM

All replies

• Msg 64, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Apparently the cause of the problem is not the SQL code but the connection.

Similar cases:

If this answer was helpful, remember to mark it.

José Diz     Belo Horizonte, MG - Brasil     [T-SQL performance tuning: Porto SQL]

• Edited by José Diz Monday, August 12, 2019 10:05 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 9:27 PM
  • This output indiciates that some terrible accident occurred inside SQL Server, so it had to cut the connection, becuase continued execution would not be safe. If you look in the SQL Server errorlog, you willd probably find a stack dump that coincides in time with your error.

This is usually due to a bug in SQL Server, although corruption could also be involved. The first action is to make sure that you have the most recent service pack and CU. WHat does "SELECT @@version" report?

Now, although this is something that should not occur, it could be triggered by that you have done something "silly", so you could share it here in case we see something obvious. Or you could attempt to trim the script until you don't get this error to in that order deduce what is the critical point.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, August 12, 2019 9:36 PM
  • Dear Friend,

Please share us the script you are using.
    The error is very common in fault communication when SSMS is idle for a long time and loses communication, which does not seem to be your case.
    Is this process always taking place and in a production environment?

Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:50 AM
  • Hi Danny2426,

Could you please share us your version information about your SQL Server (select @@version) and your script?

Does this issue happen all the time, or is it accidental? This error most likely indicates a transient network problem. You can never really have a truly reliable network, unfortunately, so there is always the possibility of sporadic failures like this.

For more information, please refer to A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.).

Hope it will help you.

Best Regards,

Rachel

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Hello Rachel,

Here is the current version as below. 

(No column name)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP4) (KB4018073) - 11.0.7001.0 (X64)   Aug 15 2017 10:23:29   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor) 

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:52 AM
  • This happens when the DB server is made unavailable with a client connection open.

To reproduce: If you have a query open in SSMS, restart the SQL instance, run the query again to get this error.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:38 AM
  • Hi Danny2426,

Thank you for your reply.

Please try to restart your Restart SQL Server Services.

Best Regards,

Rachel

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:07 AM
  • I tried restart SQL Service but same error,. 
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:26 PM
  • There is a linked server. What database product is V2 running?

Your script has several statements? Have you narrowed down which one that causes the crash?

• Proposed as answer by Ashin_c Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:45 PM
  • Hi , 

Have you checked the contents of this link?

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:04 AM
  • I think this is good catch. I've V2 as linked server and under this linked server(V2) we have V2 as database but script is trying to read Slim Db but I just checked that Slim Db isn't available in v2 linked server. 
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:20 PM
  • I think this is good catch. I've V2 as linked server and under this linked server(V2) we have V2 as database but script is trying to read Slim Db but I just checked that Slim Db isn't available in v2 linked server. 

That should not cause any crash, but some error message.

The reason I asked if V2 might be something else than SQL Server is that the error could occur in the OLE DB provider for that product.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:36 PM