Delete cached copies of roaming profiles VS Local Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• There is a very strange "feature" regarding roaming profiles and Start menu I'm trying to solve:

GPO is set to "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" and with this policy nothing work as it should.

After logon there are entries in Event log:

StartMenuExperienceHost (14144,P,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-"user-sid-here": An attempt to open the device with name "\\.\C:" containing "C:\" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access denied. ". The operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

StartMenuExperienceHost (14144,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-"user-sid-here": Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Also all locally installed apps (not from the Store) is missing from start menu (no policy is set to do this). 

If I kill StartMenuExperienceHost process It's relaunched and all apps appear in start menu. (No new entries in Event log)

If I disable "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" policy everything start to work flawlessly - all apps in start menu as they should.

I also have different PC in the same GPO that just don't have this problem. Both using Windows 10 1909 pro and same updates (latest).

I spent a lot of time trying to diagnose this problem (reinstalling windows, change permissions etc.) until I found the problem is with "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" policy.

But second PC work without any problem with this setting enabled.

What I figure out is PC performance: 

PC1 is "Core i5-9400 and SSD"

PC2 is "Core i3-3xxx and HDD" 

I suppose the PC1 booting too fast and launched process like StartMenuExperienceHost before the user profile loaded unlike the PC2.

Policy "Wait for remote user profile" is also enabled. With Windows 7 everything was working fine.

Any idea how to make this processes start after user profile is actually loaded ?  

• Edited by alephis Friday, January 17, 2020 9:59 AM remove some garbage
    Friday, January 17, 2020 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi

For further help, I suggest you submit a new case on  Group Policy forum  directly as they will be more professional on your issue.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperating.

Best Regards

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 5:55 AM
  • Hi,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Kiki

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:24 AM
  • You are welcome~

Have a nice day!

Kiki

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:45 AM