none
Host Integration Server 2010 : maximum buffer size exceeded for OS/400 Distributed Program Calls from Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm using Host Integration Service 2010 to retrieve data from an AS/400 System using libraries created from Copy Cobol files.

I have created some .Net Client Libraries in Visual Studio 2010 from Copy Cobol files and registered them on the Transaction Integration Manager.

On the last Library, I used a Copy Cobol file containing a multidimensional array (20*20 elements). When trying to save the Client Library I receive the following error: "The number of bytes sent and received in [ProgramName] will exceed the maximum of 65535 for the remote environment." Now, I checked that the Maximum Buffer Size for OS/400 Distributed Program Calls (DPC) is 65535 bytes (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg167086.aspx) and I understand what the problem is.

Please, is there a way to override this parameter and let my VS Program to exceed the Buffer limit?

Thank you in advance.

• Edited by Silviaren Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:28 PM

Answers

• There really isn't a way to work around the limit. The Remote Environment that you are using is used for OS/400 DPC and the limit is within DPC, so the Transaction Integrator feature is enforcing the IBM limit. 

When using DPC, the HIS Designer calculates and verifies that the data size is acceptable.  Each parameter includes itself plus overhead.  The sum total of array of structures (number of array elements times the size of the structure) may appear to be less than 65535 but when designer adds the overhead it may push the total bytes of the construct over 65535 bytes.

You'd need to be able to break up the data so that you could make multiple calls to get around the 65535 byte limit.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:50 PM