Cannot connect to the configuration database after Windows repair RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been asked to try and fix a broken WSS 3.0 installation for a client.  They are running WSS on their domain controller.  They recently had an OS problem and did a repair installation of Windows 2003.  In the process WSS broke - getting the dreaded "Cannot connect to the configuration database".

Since I've never worked at this client before and they have no documentation, I'm reluctant to bin the installation and start again and restore their content DB - I'm hoping to fix the problem.  If I try and launch Central Administration off the start menu, it tells me that the Central Admin web app has not been created yet, and redirects me to the products and technologies config wizard.

I step through the wizard and point it to the config DB which is still intact, and it auto-populates the user/pass field with NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.  If I enter a bogus password so that the Next button is enabled, it throws an error about the account needing to be either domain or local.  If I change the account to a local account, it throws an error saying I either need to select NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, or choose another database... so I'm stuck.

I've tried the stsadm.exe commands to reset the farm account credentials without success.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Emir,

In the end I gave up and just dumped the config DB, created a new farm, and re-attached the original content DB.  Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

cheers

Ray

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, December 14, 2012 2:34 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Raymond,

Please check following problems on your server.

1. Content source for your Admin web app has set to Read-only in SQL Server.
    2. Protocol for MSSQLSERVER is enabled.
    3. Try to disconnect the server from the farm and reconnect. When you run the config wizard, try to use a domain account which belongs to admin group in your local machine instead of using local account and NT AUTHORITY\Network service.
      http://blog.rojakstyle.com/?p=480

If the problem persists, check Event ID in Event Viewer and ULS log?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi Emir,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked that all DBs are NOT read-only using:

EXEC sp_dboption "dbname", "read only"

I checked that TCP/IP and Named Pipes are both enabled for the SQL Express instance in use

Regarding your third suggestion, the server is already disconnected from the farm I think.  When running the config wizard, I've tried using two other administrative domain accounts, and all it does it ask me to use NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE or choose another database.   It think in the config database that NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE is set somewhere in one of the tables, and this is what SharePoint wants me to input - but the wizard only allows domain or local accounts - so I can't get past this point.

This is what is appearing in the ULS log:

5utx Unexpected The timer service could not initialize its configuration, please check the configuration database.  Will retry later.  

There is nothing of interest in the Windows Application event log.

many thanks,

Raymond

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Hi Raymond,

Please try to clear the config cache and the details step is. (Or refer to following link)

1. Stop Windows SharePoint Services Timer Service.

2. Delete All XML files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config.

3. Open "Cache.ini" and write 1.

4. Start Windows SharePoint Services Timer Service again and try to run wizard again.

http://www.stuartroberts.net/index.php/2008/10/10/sharepoint-timer-service-fails-to-initialisation/

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Thanks Emir - but I tried that yesterday and again now, and still no go  :(  Same errors in config wizard... it wants either NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE or for me to change the DB.... 
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi Emir,

In the end I gave up and just dumped the config DB, created a new farm, and re-attached the original content DB.  Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

cheers

Ray

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, December 14, 2012 2:34 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:45 PM