Win7 random restart problem Event 6008 and 41 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Win7 Home 32-bit. I have been having this random restart problem for a while.

I have reseted a power plan with most Never or Off.

I have updated all drivers and uninstall-ed all 3rd party software. (Windows Live and Office still inside)

I opened my desktop box and clean all the fans heat skin.

I have checked the power unit and BOIS settings.(BOIS is updated too)

HOWEVER I am still have this problem. so randomly. Sometime I can open for one day, sometime it keep restarts 5 or  more times in a roll.

IS there any hot fix on this problem.

(I dont think the event log helps much)

Please help! I lost alot works so far!

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• If the issue first occur recently, please check if Last Known Good Configuration can resolve the issue.

Also, you can disable Automatically restart, by clicking Start, right clicking Computer, selecting Properties, clicking Settings under Startup and Recovery, unchecking Automatically restart and click OK to check the issue.

If the issue reoccurs, you need to check the hard disk and check the memory.

Besides, go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Besides, please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

If the issue still exists, please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files by yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 20, 2010 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are there any files being dropped in C:\Windows\Minidump? If there are,
    can you upload them to skydrive (instructions at
    ) for further examination?

-- Mike Burr
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Adding on other advise, try verifying that the restart is not due to processor temps, verify it under cmos setup in bios setting, look for the feature which says hardware monitor or health status (depending which bios u're having) and ensure the temp is within it's appropriate range
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Do you mean with error 41, Kernel Power 41? If yes, read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:32 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • If the issue first occur recently, please check if Last Known Good Configuration can resolve the issue.

Also, you can disable Automatically restart, by clicking Start, right clicking Computer, selecting Properties, clicking Settings under Startup and Recovery, unchecking Automatically restart and click OK to check the issue.

If the issue reoccurs, you need to check the hard disk and check the memory.

Besides, go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Besides, please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

If the issue still exists, please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files by yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 20, 2010 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:54 AM