Is there any way to get windows 7 to display more than 2 screens? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 7 home premium 64 systerm which was running debian linux with 8 22" LCD screens.  4 of the screens are connected to a matching pair of nVidia 9500 GT PCIe cards with the SLI cable between them, and the other 4 are connected to a matching pair of nVidia FX 5500 PCI cards.  Each card has 2 22" LCD monitors attached via DVI or VGA connectors, and all the cards appear in the device wizard.

The 2 FX 5500's say they are working properly, but only screen 0 appears to work off each card.  Screen 1 on each is getting no signal at all and their existence is not even noticed y the o/s.  I have the newest nVidia drivers downloaded and installed, but when you look closely you find they are only for vista-32, not win 7-64.  Is there a way to get the 2nd screens on each card to work?  They did work with Win/98. LOL.

The 2 9500 GT's both are getting "Code 43" errors saying the hardware isn't working properly.  They are matching cards and work just fine under linux. I also have installed the newest win 7-64 drivers for them from nvidia.

I am trying to get this working to run Tradestation with 8 screens.  I only have 2 PCIe slots.  The other 3 are PCI.  Currently I am living with running it off 4 screens under vista-64 on a laptop.

Any suggestons that might help me get it to work?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:36 AM

Answers

• You need WDDM version 1.1 drivers to get different graphics cards to work together with Windows 7.
    The Vista drivers are version 1.0 most likely.

I am running 4 displays off of two AMD Radeon HD 4670s, so Windows 7 certainly supports more than 2 screens.

AMD has new graphics cards coming out that support 6 displays each...

"up to six displays using the forthcoming ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 Eyefinity6 graphics card"

Two of those would get you up to 12 displays.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:26 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:38 AM