Network Performance Discrepancy Between Windows 7 Computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If there is any additional information you need.  I will be happy to provide it.

In my network I have a subnet ( subnet 1 ) that I put servers on and another subnet ( subnet 2 ) I put certain departments on.  My network includes about 7 other subnets too. I have a particular file server ( server 1 ) on subnet 1 and 2 desktops ( desktop 1 & desktop 2 ) on subnet 2. The server is Windows 2008 Stardard. Both desktops 1 & 2 are Windows 7 professional and are attached to a desktop switch at my user's cubicle that are connected to the single drop at their desk. The issue is that when desktop 1 initiates a copy from server 1 to desktop 2, the copy dialog window shows it's speed around ~6MB/second.  However, if desktop 2 copies the identical data from server to itself ( desktop 2 ) my copy dialog window shows it's speed around 500KB/second.

In both, the source data and destination location are identical.  How is it possible to get this huge discrepancy ?

mstoll

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try the following to verify the issue:

1. Disable firewalls;

2. Copy the file in the Safe Mode with Networking to see the result

3. Open CMD as administrator, and input the command:  

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Regards,

Vincent Wang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Thank you Vincent for responding.
    Unfortunately nothing changed.

mstoll

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:47 PM
  • I have found this to be helpful: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

You also might find some use in looking at the network settings on the one machine that is fast and comparing to the one that is slow.  Then replicate those settings (NIC, TCP etc..).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Edited by Ty Glander Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:03 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Vincent Wang

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

So far I don't have any updates since it hasn't changed and is still behaving the same.

Thanks

mstoll

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the steps in the steps provided by Imperfect1? Also, try the following:

1. Disable remote differential compression:

Open Programs and Features, remove the feature “Remote Different Compression”

2. Modify link speed and duplex value in network adapter properties:

Right click network adapter and choose properties, go to advanced tab, choose link speed& Duplex, select the value to “Auto Negotiation”

3. Clear DNS Cache:

Ipconfig /flushdns

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Vincent Wang

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

We tried the steps outlined in Imperfect1's post.  It still didn't change anything.  We also tried to install a NIC into the machine to see if would change anything. It didn't.

We will try these latest suggestions.

Thank You

mstoll

Friday, March 1, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going?

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Vincent Wang

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

No change.  Still the same performance issues.

Any other suggestions or tests we could perform ?

mstoll

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

No change.  Still the same performance issues.

Any other suggestions or tests we could perform ?

mstoll

If you are comfortable with network protocols you could try a wireshark trace.  This would tell you what is happening on the wire and help eliminate/discover a TCP configuration issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:21 PM