June Vista update KB950126 caused hardware conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an Acer desktop running Vista Home Premium.  It was fully updated, incl. SP1, and in good working order until I installed Cummulative Update KB950126 on June 13th.  When I rebooted my system I had no audio.  When I checked in Device Manager I found that I had a yellow exclamation mark on my "High Definition Audio Controller"  (built onto the M/B), and ALSO on my Monitor (generic PnP monitor), on both instances of my processor (AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3600+), and my "PCI Standard ISA Bridge".  Each device had the exclamation mark and none, to my knowledge, did before the update.

I started with the Audio error message, uninstalling the device and then checking for new hardware.  It found it but generated an error message saying it couldn't install the device driver because of Error Code 37.  I tried the same procedure with each of the other devices (this usually works to resolve conflicts, I've found) and every one failed with Error Code 37.  I tried rolling back to before I installed the update but I still have the same error messages.  I've tried shutting the machine off, of course, and I tried booting up in Safe Mode and doing the uninstall/refresh job in Device Manager there.  Nothing has resolved ANY of the hardware error messages.

In searching for others having this problem I found only one other person (in another TechNet forum) who's having the EXACT same problem (meaning with the exact same devices, and only those devices, after installing update KB950126).  Any help in resolving these problems would be most welcome.
    Warren

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before moving on, let’s try to restore drivers to previous version.

Restore Drivers to Previous Version

==========================

1.Click to open Device Manager.

2.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Allow.

3.Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

4.Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

Note: If there's no previous version of the driver software installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable.

If the exclamation mark still exist, please let me know the model of this computer. I will try to find the latest driver for you.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:23 AM

All replies

• More information from the OP -- Just to eliminate an actual hardware malfunction I ran a live version of Ubuntu on my Acer desktop.  It recognized the sound card (Realtek, built into M/B) automatically and plays everything fine.  I also burned a disc of drivers and applications from what Acer provides and tried to reinstall the audio driver.  I came to the same dead end -- device cannot initialize -- Code 37 error.  What is happening here???
    Warren
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

Before moving on, let’s try to restore drivers to previous version.

Restore Drivers to Previous Version

==========================

1.Click to open Device Manager.

2.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Allow.

3.Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

4.Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

Note: If there's no previous version of the driver software installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable.

If the exclamation mark still exist, please let me know the model of this computer. I will try to find the latest driver for you.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:23 AM