none
Should I be inputting manual hours into Task Usage view? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are currently in the planning for implementing Project Server. At the moment we have Microsoft Project plans that sit separately from each other, and also a separate Microsoft Excel spreadsheet called a 'Resource Diary' that details how many hours each developer/BA/tester etc. will spend on each project per day. 

For example it will tell me that on the 10th May Bob (Developer) will be working on Project C for 3 hours and Project D for 4 hours; meanwhile Mary (Tester) will be working on Project B for 6 hours. This resource diary lists hours per project per day and not per task per day.

We are looking at replicating this into MS Project -- is setting tasks to Fixed Duration and manually entering the hours (as in our current resource diary) in the Task Usage view a good way of doing this?

Many thanks

Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:20 PM

All replies

• The fact that you're not doing resource planning at the task level thevesper is key. Resources are generally assigned at the task level in Project. Only Budget resources, not something that would be helpful for you by the sounds of it, can be assigned at the project level so, I don't think the Task Usage view is going to be a good fit for your current mode of operation.

Instead, explore the Resource Plans capability in Project Server. Through this capability you can specify your resource needs at the project level in terms of hours or days of work or full time equivalents (FTEs). That may support the type of high-level resource planning that you're interested in.

Here's a post that will provide a bit more information on Resource Plans:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2007/02/21/resource-plans-explained-i-hope.aspx

David Kaiser, PMP, MCTS, MCITP
    Schedule Associates International
    www.ScheduleAssociates.net

Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:09 PM
  • thevesper --

What I would recommend that you do instead is to create detailed tasks in each Microsoft Project plan, and then to assign resources to those tasks.  That would prepare you and your team members must better for your Project Server implementation.  To assign resources to tasks, by the way, you do not use the Task Usage view.  You can use either the Task Entry view or the Assign Resources dialog for that purpose.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:39 PM