One shared mailbox with multiple distribution groups connected and the sent items folder - how to configure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have been struggling for a while now with the following issue.
    For starters:
    We are using exchange 2010 in combination with outlook 2013 on client computers.

Cause of the limitations concerning the number of mailboxes in outlook im looking for a solution to receive and reply 
    to multiple aliasses. So i did the following:

1. Configured one shared mailbox.
    2. Configured multiple distribution groups
    3.  made the shared mailbox a member of the distribution groups
    4. Configured full access and send as permissions for myself on the shared mailbox ( testing )
    5. Gave send as permissions to the shared mailbox in Active directory. 
    6.  Logged in to OWA to setup rules for the shared mailbox.

I now receive emails from all connected distribution groups in the shared mailbox and also in the right folder.
    I do however have to select the proper from address when i reply to an email. 
    the email sent by the main SMTP of the shared mailbox is placed into the sent folder of the shared mailbox. 
    I setup the senddelagate blabla in register.....
    When i sent an email as one of the connected distribution groups it fails to put the sent item in the sent items folder of the shared mailbox. The email is sent using the proper address but placed in the sent folder of my main account. 
    I want this emails to end up in the sent items folder of the shared mailbox. Or even better, in a sent items folder for each of the addresses. 

Any suggestions ? 

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As what Rajkumar says, sending as a shared mailbox(full access permission) will put the email in the sent item of shared mailbox. But it cannot be located in the “sent item” of a distribution group. Because it is a distribution group instead of a enabled user mailbox.

According to your further description, I understand that the reason why you configure that is some users reached the limitation about the number of Exchange accounts you can include in the same Outlook profile. Is it rights? If I misunderstand, please point it out.

By default, user can only add 10 Exchange accounts to the same profile. You can customize the limit to the number Exchange accounts in the same profile using the following registry data:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\Microsoft\exchange

DWORD: MaxNumExchange

Value: integer value starting at 1 (default = 10 if DWORD is missing)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2012/12/24/clarification-on-outlook-2010-and-additional-exchange-account-supportability.aspx

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:58 AM

All replies

• If you send as an email using the shared mailbox, it will end up in sent item of shared mailbox witht he senddelegate switch..

But using the distribution group as the from address will always end in your sent items folder.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Another option would be to add the other email address to the list of aliasses in the group.
    E-mail will be received in the group mailbox.

This way it is not possible to use this alias as the from address. 

So, you are only confirming what i already knew. 
    Can you or anybody confirm that is is not possible to achieve the described scenario?
    Maybe some other way...

I also tried adding another user mailbox and forwarding this mail directly to the group.
    I managed to get the sent emails in the sent items folder of the user mailbox, not in your own. 
    The members of the shared mailbox will still be unable to see the sent items. 

The reason i am trying to get this to work is the maximum number of mailboxes in outlook is reached for some users. Adding another one with the possibillity to answer with the proper from address and see all sent items is not possible at the moment. Also outlook 2013 is kind of slow for those users at the moment.

Using cached mode btw :)

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

As what Rajkumar says, sending as a shared mailbox(full access permission) will put the email in the sent item of shared mailbox. But it cannot be located in the “sent item” of a distribution group. Because it is a distribution group instead of a enabled user mailbox.

According to your further description, I understand that the reason why you configure that is some users reached the limitation about the number of Exchange accounts you can include in the same Outlook profile. Is it rights? If I misunderstand, please point it out.

By default, user can only add 10 Exchange accounts to the same profile. You can customize the limit to the number Exchange accounts in the same profile using the following registry data:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\Microsoft\exchange

DWORD: MaxNumExchange

Value: integer value starting at 1 (default = 10 if DWORD is missing)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2012/12/24/clarification-on-outlook-2010-and-additional-exchange-account-supportability.aspx

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The downside of adding more exchange accounts is that outlook becomes slow.
    I understand that its not possible for distribution groups to have a sent items folder. Its a distribution group not a mailbox. This is what i want: (again)

For example:

The company has multiple clients for which it manages multiple campaigns, each with his own email addres.
    ( info@campaign1.com , info@campaign2.com etc... )
    What i want to achieve is create 1 shared mailbox for each client. 

I then create folders in those mailboxes for each campaign. 
    The distribution groups created for each campaign will route the email to the proper client mailbox.
    Using rules in OWA the mails will be put into the right folder of the client mailbox.
    Using the registry change ( delegatesentitems ) will make sure the responses on the campaign mails end up in the sent items folders of the clients mailbox. However, this only works when the primary smtp ( reply ) address of the mailbox is used, not for the addresses in the distribution groups. 

those replies end up in the sent items folder of the person who sends the mail.

• Edited by Mathé Friday, February 7, 2014 7:49 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 7:47 AM