No "Open" option is prompted when html file is downloaded in IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to download an html using IE11, browser only prompted Save,Save as and cancel no "open" option was prompted but it was prompted if I was downloading pdf files.And default browser to open HTML files is IE11 when I changed default browser to some other browser "open" option was prompted but on clicking on it file is opening in the browser which was set as default not in IE11.

Can any one please let me know why this is happening.

• Edited by Vinayak2504 Monday, January 11, 2016 12:15 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinayak,

Thank you for your question.

Did you use the other browsers to check if there is “Open“option when you download html file and set IE as default browser?

If this issue just occur on IE, we could reset IE to check if the issue persist:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737 

Then if you want to set IE as default browser, we could navigate to “Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs” to configure it.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply.

As you said I tried to down load an html file using other browser keeping IE as default browser I was able to see "open" prompt, and I also tried restoring all IE settings but still issue persists in IE.

Even I set IE as default browser in “Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs” but still I was not able to see "open" option in IE

Regards,

Vinayak

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi Vinayak,

The IE could be blocked to open online by the website provider. So suggest you use IE on others’ PC to check if there is “Open” option when download html file, or check the website provider to verify it could be opened online by IE.

If the issue just occur on this specific computer, we suggest you rebuild the Windows profile and do a clean boot by the following link to check if the issue persist:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:43 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

As you mentioned I tried to download html in others PC also but still "open" option was not prompted.This issue is occurring in all PCs wherever I have checked,this issue is not specific to any PC.

Is it a default behavior of IE11 whenever we download an HTML? since this issue doesn't occur for any other downloads such as image,PDF etc.

Regards,

Vinayak

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Hi Vinayak,

There are no default behavior for IE to download html file. Because it occur on all PCs, as I said above, we suggest you contact the website provider to verify if it was blocked by them to open html online. 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:33 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply.

There is nothing like any blocking from website provider for html download.

Even I had created a small application using .NET frame work for downloading an html still issue is occurring.

Regards,

Vinayak

Vinayak2504

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi Vinayak,

You could contact your friends or other companies to use their IE to download html file to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already tested this issue in my personal computer and also in my friend's computer, there also I found the issue.

Regards,

Vinayak

Vinayak2504

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi Vinayak,

If that, the issue could be caused website instead of PC, please contact the website provider to solve it.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:40 AM