Why does SteadyState make Windows Update occur every night? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Why does SteadyState appear to make Windows Update occur everynight, even when they surely cannot be Windows Updates every night?  Why doesn't it only do this when there actually are updates available?
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState will search for updates before entering it's update mode.  If no updates are available, it will skip the update cycle.  However, if you have an antivirus program configured for SteadyState updates, or have a custom script configured, SteadyState will always reboot to run updates.  This is because there is no way for SteadyState to determine if there are updates available for antivirus products or a custom script.

If you like, you can also choose to run updates on a specific day of the week instead of running them daily.

Thanks,

Rob

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SteadyState will search for updates before entering it's update mode.  If no updates are available, it will skip the update cycle.  However, if you have an antivirus program configured for SteadyState updates, or have a custom script configured, SteadyState will always reboot to run updates.  This is because there is no way for SteadyState to determine if there are updates available for antivirus products or a custom script.

If you like, you can also choose to run updates on a specific day of the week instead of running them daily.

Thanks,

Rob

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Hey I must have accidently switched the settings on SteadyState to update automatically, and now I can't access my computer.

Firstly, When steadystate enters its automatic update mode, there is no clear way to cancel or bypass this mode. I have windows set so stand by occurs after a relatively short period of inactivity. Becasue fo this, when steadystate tries update automatically, it cannot finish becasue the computer goes into standby before it can fiinsh updating, As a result to access my computer I have to babysit the computer and make sure it doesn't go into standby. Secondly, sometimes internet connection can be lost. If windows update is in the middle of updating when the internet becomes unavailable, it seems impossible for it to finish updating and therefore impossible to access my computer. This becomes extremely irritating.

Please offer any advice you have , and any  wyas of bypassing steadystate update mode.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:13 AM