BITS configuration for WSUS controls download of Microsoft updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just want to confirm if BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service ) is the solution to throttle / control the download of updates from Microsoft going to our local WSUS server? Or it only controls the bandwidth used from WSUS server going to clients?

Because our limited bandwidth has been entirely used by our newly configured WSUS server in our corporate internet.

Also, can somebody elaborate the difference of background and foreground transfers in view of WSUS server?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, BITS is used, however it throttles bandwidth from a server perspective, not from your pipe.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939927(v=ws.10).aspx

When you say nearly configured, the inital sync will take quite a long time, especially if you selected a lot of updates/langauges, and if you have express installs configured. Might be worth giving the best practices a review

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720525(v=ws.10).aspx

If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just to confirm, when you say server perspective, lets say I configure BITS maximum bandwidth to 2000 Kbps, it should mean that inbound and outbound connections will only reach 2000 Kbps individually? 

Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:41 AM
  • I would think it's just downloads, not positive however.

There are BITS Net Utilization perfmon counters you could monitor during testing to confirm

If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:22 AM