none
What does the Precedence on a Synchronization Rule Mean?? RRS feed

• Question

• We want two-way flow Users and Groups between Portal and AD.

Users and Groups and their memberships can be created on the Portal and these should be provisioned on AD.

Users and Groups and memberships can be created on AD and these should flow to the Portal.

We use R2 and our scope is set in the IN/Out Synch. Rule

I have 2 synchronization rules: one for Groups and one for Users. It seems these must have different "Precedence" since we only have one AD MA. The Users Sync Rule is set as Precedence 1 and the Groups Sync Rule is Precedence 2. We want to trap creations of users and group in BOTH Portal and AD.

I hope this means that Users are processed before Groups, but ALL entries in scope will be processed!

Is this really so?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:33 AM

Answers

• You might have more than one synchronization rule that uses the same attribute. Therefore you need to have order.

"A conflict resolution mechanism might also be required in synchronization rules. For example, if a connector space object is in the scope of several inbound synchronization rules and you have overlapping settings configured, the synchronization service needs a mechanism to resolve the conflict.To address the conflict, FIM also provides a precedence implementation on the synchronization rule level. It is important to note that synchronization rule precedence only affects overlapping settings inside the synchronization rules. In other words, if an object is in the scope of several synchronization rules, it does not mean that only the settings from the synchronization rule with the highest precedence are applied to the object. Synchronization rule precedence applies to inbound and outbound synchronization rules."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff608273%28WS.10%29.aspx

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:09 PM

All replies

• Just to add a few things.

I am aware of  ATTRIBUTE precedence. In our case all attributes are equal precedence because we want to move data both ways no matter where it comes from. We see this as latest is "correct" value.

What puzzles me is the Synchronization Rule screen on the Portal.

Display Name, Description, Precedence and External System.  I understand all of these except for the meaning of the Precedence of  a Sync Rule.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:06 AM
  • You might have more than one synchronization rule that uses the same attribute. Therefore you need to have order.

"A conflict resolution mechanism might also be required in synchronization rules. For example, if a connector space object is in the scope of several inbound synchronization rules and you have overlapping settings configured, the synchronization service needs a mechanism to resolve the conflict.To address the conflict, FIM also provides a precedence implementation on the synchronization rule level. It is important to note that synchronization rule precedence only affects overlapping settings inside the synchronization rules. In other words, if an object is in the scope of several synchronization rules, it does not mean that only the settings from the synchronization rule with the highest precedence are applied to the object. Synchronization rule precedence applies to inbound and outbound synchronization rules."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff608273%28WS.10%29.aspx

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:09 PM