exchange 2003 with active directory disaster recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I have exchange 2003 installed on a secondary domain controller and i lost 2 out of 3 raid disks. however, the exchange server is down and  i have the primary DC with edb backed up using NetBackup.

My questions is

how can i install exchange server again and restore my edb?

is it possible to move edb to a new exchange server? or do i have to install exchange using disaster switch?

please explain the easiest way to install exchange in this scenario. 

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:35 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

J.Peter’s suggestion is worth to perform. If you experience problems when you restore Exchange databases to the original server, or to the server to which you have restored the original server's configuration, you can restore Exchange databases to a different Exchange server. However, restore Exchange databases to a different server only as a last resort.

For more information about Restore Exchange Database, please refer to the following article:

Restoring Exchange Server 2003

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:33 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:17 AM

All replies

• Greetings,

First off... you must be panicking right about now... deep breath... if I cannot help, no worries, there are plenty of smart folks who will see your post and will chime in.

Let me just clarify.  You say you are using NetBackup.  Is that accurate?  Or are you using NTBackup?

Here is a simple article from MSExchange.org on restoring your NTBackup backup:  http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html

You seem less concerned about the restore itself and more concerned about restoring the server and knowing if you have to install with the disaster recovery switch.

Here is another article that I believe may be more what you are looking for:  http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.html

J. Peter Bruzzese
    Triple-MCSE, MCT, MCITP: Messaging
    ExclusivelyExchange.com

• Proposed as answer by Novak Wu Friday, August 20, 2010 7:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:53 PM
  • thank you for your corporation and yes, i meant Symantec NetBackup. My exchange server  partitions is gone because i lost the physical hard disk and i couldn't rebuilt raid array anymore. the only thing left is an early backup of the database (edb). can i install another server with the same configuration of the old one then restore edb from the backup which i have? my only concern is that it was a secondary domain controller. Does the second article applies on this situation?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Naji,

Yes you can install another server with the same configuration as the crashed one including the server name. Make sure that the service pack that was installed on the old server is installed on the new server or it can be a latest one. Because if the binary file level on the new server is lower than the old server then your database wont mount. I dont think the domain controller part you discussed will create problems for installing exchange using disaster recovery switch.

Hope this helps.

Subhash Kurup

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:30 PM
  •  

Hi,

J.Peter’s suggestion is worth to perform. If you experience problems when you restore Exchange databases to the original server, or to the server to which you have restored the original server's configuration, you can restore Exchange databases to a different Exchange server. However, restore Exchange databases to a different server only as a last resort.

For more information about Restore Exchange Database, please refer to the following article:

Restoring Exchange Server 2003

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:33 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:17 AM
  • As you mentioned that you lost your 2 out of 3 raid disks, then i will suggest you to recover your raid via Raid Recovery services or softwares. It will help you to get back your lost data.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:09 PM