none
extracting files from shadow copy created by dpmbackup.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I can successfully run dpmbackup.exe -replicas from a command prompt. A folder structure like this is created:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System

|_____vol_78c204a2-d5bb-4abd-bc8f-7485f9cd7bfc

..........|______{355a2adb-7611-4528-b94b-4b4a8c07fc83}checkpoint

..........|______355a2adb-7611-4528-b94b-4b4a8c07fc83

......................|______DatasetContextInformation.xml

......................|______DatasourceProtectionIntent.xml

......................|______DatasourceVolumeMapping.xml

In Windows Explorer that folder that begins with "vol_" shows a file size of one terrabyte. If I drill down to the subfolders, however, no further data is displayed and all I get are some small .xml files - how do I access all that data in the shadow copy? I did try opening disk manager, which showed the dpm_vol as not having a drive letter - I tried assigning a drive letter which succeeded, but, when I opened the drive, I got the same folder structure as above...

I raised this question in a previous thread with a slightly different subject, but, the thread has died.

Claude Jones Leesburg, VA

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:09 PM

Answers

• Mike: That worked with one caveat. It was trying to pull all sorts of stuff out of the recycle bin and encountered files that were listed as in the bin, but that it couldn't find. By adding the "/c" switch, I could get past that because that tells it to keep going if it encounters errors. So, the final command looks like this:
    xcopy *.* /s/h/c e:\dailybackup

• Marked as answer by ClaudeJones Friday, June 29, 2012 3:16 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:15 PM

All replies

• Can anyone tell me if they are successfully using dpmbackup.exe -replicas to create shadow copies?

If you are, could you just describe the folder structure you get, and how you're viewing it?

Friday, June 22, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

It could be that the subfolders are hidden, try doing a DIR /A /S to see the entire tree, then CD to the hidden folder(s)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Mike: Thank you for that reply - I had not been getting replies for awhile so I'd stopped checking. Running that command does indeed expose the underlying hidden folders. I tried using xcopy /s/h to copy those files and folders to regular physical hard drive, but I got the same results as before, with only four small files (three .xml files and a "checkpoint" file) being copied over. Any suggestion on how I can copy those hidden folders to my hard drive?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

xcopy *.* /s /h x:\  should work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Mike: That worked with one caveat. It was trying to pull all sorts of stuff out of the recycle bin and encountered files that were listed as in the bin, but that it couldn't find. By adding the "/c" switch, I could get past that because that tells it to keep going if it encounters errors. So, the final command looks like this:
    xcopy *.* /s/h/c e:\dailybackup

• Marked as answer by ClaudeJones Friday, June 29, 2012 3:16 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:15 PM