How to find the user among serveral sharepoint groups in MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a intranet Web application in Moss 2007 which contains 20-30 site collections and a centralized search. The problem is NT Authority\Authenticated users and domain users have read access to all the sites under that web application. Each site collection points to different department and the owners of the site collections do not want other department users to read their content. When a user search for a document it queries documents from all the site collections and they are able to view it, as NT Authority\Authenticated users have read access. One of the site collection has more than 1400 sites and around 3700 sharepoint groups. It is not possible to search NT Authority\Authenticated users by manually clicking each group. In SP2010 we have check name feature where once we type in the name it shows the list of sharepoint groups where the users is member of. Is there any way that I could find the groups with NT Authority\Authenticated users in MOSS 2007. Please help me guys.

Yash

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:52 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that  you cannot check every group manually to find which group a user belongs to  .In MOSS 2007 there isn’t a way like check name feature in SharePoint2010 .So you have to write some code to achieve this .

For more information , please refer to this site:

List all SharePoint groups a user belongs to: http://www.theblackknightsings.com/ListAllSharePointGroupsAUserBelongsTo.aspx

Thanks ,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Thanks all for your replies. I found the alternate way by querying the database. I'm successful in retrieving the groups that the user belongs to.
    Yash
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

You can do it very easily via admintoolkit.

You can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=cd2d09a7-1159-4d40-be1c-8efab1345381&displaylang=en .

Once you install it you will get the feature of security report account. Now go to your site settings--> Check effective Permissions (under user and permissions). This will take you to a page where you can add the user name and check in which groups he is there.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies