none
Dynamic resolution for background image (and login screen)

Question

• Hello,

In Windows 7, we could provide a series of images in "C:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds". The machine would then dynamically choose the image with the 'best resolution', or a 'default image' if provided.

This process does not appear to work in Windows 10.

Does anyone know how enforce this behavior on Windows 10?

Thanks!

-CDR92

Friday, February 09, 2018 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

In Windows 7, we could provide a series of images in "C:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds". The machine would then dynamically choose the image with the 'best resolution', or a 'default image' if provided.

This process does not appear to work in Windows 10.

Does anyone know how enforce this behavior on Windows 10?

Thanks!

-CDR92

Hi,

Background images: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Account pictures: C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

Momominta

Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:48 AM
  • I should have clarified a little more. Previously, in our Win7 rollout process after imaging our computers, we had some code that will add watermarks to images in C:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds, so that the data painted onto the background would be relatively on the same position across all resolutions. This isn't the case with Win10 (regarding the oobe path).

In Win10, my work around was to just place ONE image in C:\windows\web\wallpaper, and to apply the watermarks to images in those paths, but the water mark looks a little off on different machines due to the natural resolution on the monitor.

I also already have a customized account picture working.

So I don't think this is a matter of applying a theme. I need a location in which Win10 dynamically determines the best resolution image to apply as the desktop background much like it did in Win7.

Thanks!

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:30 PM
  • I don't think you can do this natively in Win10, in the sense of having it pick the right image.

Our approach is to use a program to generate the image at each client device, so that it can be done at the native resolution whatever that might be. This works best with a solid background colour on which images and text can be overlaid without worrying about scaling or cropping the background image.

This means it also works for monitors turned to portrait mode.

To work properly it also needs re-doing if the resolution changes.

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:36 PM