none
Importing a DPM 2010 db into DPM 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• My DPM 2010 server has, for all intents and purposes, died.  I have a backup of the DPM db and want to go to DPM 2012 R2 anyway.  In order to upgrade the DPM db, do I have to first install DPM 2010 on the new server and then upgrade?  Or, can I do a straight, clean install of DPM 2012 on the new server, then attach or import the DPM 2010 db and upgrade it?  

Secondly, my storage pool should still be intact and contain the replica volumes and recovery point volumes of the servers that were protected by DPM 2010.  How can I reattach and upgrade those, or do I have that option?  Do I have to reformat the storage pool and start fresh?

Thank you!!!!!

Carrie

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

follow this:

1: install your new Server with the same servername like before

2: install DPM in the same Version like before

3: restore your DB with SQL Management Studio or "dpmsync -restoreDB -dbloc c:\bakup.bak

4: attach your storage to the Windows Server and DPM

5: run "dpmsync -sync"

6: DPM should be up and running like before

7: Start your upgrade to DPM 2012 R2

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:03 PM
  • So, that's a "no," I cannot simply install 2012 and restore the 2010 db; I have to install 2010, restore the db, then begin the upgrade to 2012.

I've got my new DPM 2010 server with the same DNS name up and running and have successfully restored the db from the backup made on 5/1/14.  I got the agents to see it by running SetDpmServer on each of them.  However, the Recovery tab shows no long term tape recovery points more recent than 2013.  And, I can tell from the outdated list of protected servers that this is most certainly NOT the state of my now-defunct DPM 2010 server on 5/1/14.  What did I do wrong?

Thank you!

Carrie

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:47 PM