Vista memory diagnostics RRS feed

• Question

• I have had periodic loss & recovery of video for 3 months.  I spent several weeks with ATI trying to isolate the problem until finally ATI concluded the problem was hardware related - either RAM, the MB or the Video card.  I am now trying to determine which.   I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics tool several times with no errors reported.  However, I have 8 (4 x 2GB) GB RAM installed and wonder if the memory diagnostics tool looks at all 8 GB at once, or do I need to remove some and run diagnostics on 1 or 2 sticks at at time?

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:50 PM

All replies

• I guess no one knows the answer to this so I removed 4GB and ran diagnostics then I removed the next 4GB & replaced with the ones I removed and ran diagnostics again.  No problems showed up.

I asked this question originally because before MS added this utility to Vista, you had to download the memory diagnostic tool and run it from a floppy/CD at bootup.  The instructions that came with this downloaded utility advised that it only worked with 4GB RAM.  I speculated that with Vista64 (which I obviously have) being able to address more memory, the new memory diagnostic utility might be able to address 8GB.  I still don't know the answer after searching all over.

Cheers

Larry

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing, Larry.

Based on your description, I agree that this problem is very possibly hardware related, especially motherboard and video card confliction.

From Windows side, my suggest is to update all the drivers for your devices. If you need more help from us, feel free to post here.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:22 AM