none
SP3 Final Build [Attn Chris]

Question

• This is mainly a question aimed at Chris and the MSFT team however no doubt others will be very interested to find this out for certain as well:

The question is:

Is build 5512 (the RTM build) going to be the absolute final build (RTW build)?

There is speculation all over the place about the possibility of an even newer build, which will override this 5512 RTM build, to fix the RMS issue. Basically I am after a confirmation that the "fix" for RMS users will simply be the SP3 5512 build + a hotfix to fix the issue (and until the fix is available, RMS users will not see SP3 on MU/WU). Whereas for non-RMS users, the 5512 build will be the RTW release.

I intend to do some large scale testing, however there is not a lot of point using 5512 if it isn't going to be the dead set final production release.

-Alan

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:44 PM

Answers

• 5512 is the final build.

If you've obtained 5512 from MSDN / TechNet, you have the final build.

5512 is what will go on Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center.

The Microsoft Dynamics RMS issue will be fixed via a seperate hotfix.

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, that's a very good question. I installed yesterday SP3 (polish version) and I'm wondering do I need to uninstall SP3 and install new SP3 build (if there will be one), or maybe there will be a hotfix?
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  

Not more hotfixes...I'd like to close my system for once because the 80+ updates from WU always made my system unstable. explorer.exe would always crash on me until they rolled out the public SP3.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Bump.

It would be good if someone from MSFT answered this one and perhaps made a sticky with the answer too.

-Alan

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:35 AM
  • 5512 is the final build.

If you've obtained 5512 from MSDN / TechNet, you have the final build.

5512 is what will go on Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center.

The Microsoft Dynamics RMS issue will be fixed via a seperate hotfix.

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Majorgeeks and other sites are offering the final version the exe file is dated 30 April version 6.2.29.0 but when I instal msinfo32 says build Version 5.1.2600 build 2600.

Is this a beta version?

Does anyone know where I can get a real final build from a free website.

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:43 AM
  •  

I was wondering this too having already applied 5512 to one machine and was waiting for the official release before I start slipstreaming install disks. Thanks. Tim
    Monday, May 5, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Ray, 5512 is the final build as has been stated.

Please be patient and wait for the release to web version to be published.  If your system is fully patched and you have no pressing need to go to WPA2, then there's no real need to rush.

I would not get a file from a non-Microsoft source.  You will get the free final build from MS.

Chill out man, drink plenty of coffee.

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:31 PM
  •  Steve Milward wrote:

Chill out man, drink plenty of coffee.

Yeah, you have found a real thing to cheer him up.

Monday, May 5, 2008 6:03 PM
  •  Steve Milward wrote:

<snip Steve's advice to be patient> ...no pressing need to go to WPA2, then there's no real need to rush.

As an aside, if there is a pressing need to use WPA2, a strongly recommended idea anyway, use the hotfix included in MS Security Advisory 917021.  Read the associated KB as the hotfix adds some group policy and other features.  I've been using it since release, 2006-10-17, without difficulty.

[edited to clarify quote snip]

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:40 AM
  •  Tom Sweet478528 wrote:
     Steve Milward wrote:

<snip Steve's advice to be patient> ...no pressing need to go to WPA2, then there's no real need to rush.

As an aside, if there is a pressing need to use WPA2, a strongly recommended idea anyway, use the hotfix included in MS Security Advisory 917021.  Read the associated KB as the hotfix adds some group policy and other features.  I've been using it since release, 2006-10-17, without difficulty.

[edited to clarify quote snip]

Yep, I've been using that for a while now without problems.  Just be careful that all your wireless devices support WPA2.  Also, don't just rely on WPA2 - use a strong password as well. (Don't know why I said that - we're all pros right?).

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:01 PM

• Final Build: 5512.080413-2113
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Steve

I chilled out and continued to cultivate my coffee addiction. For good measure I did the highly recommended 'Three Peaks of Yorkshire' Walk.

Today I uninstalled the 2600 build from an unofficial source and replaced it with the one from Windows Update.

msinfo32 and About Windows continue to say build 2600.

I just hope Microsoft knows what itis doing - the last 10 days or so of the SP3 saga is starting to make me think Microsofts persistant critics are right after all.

I hope I can leave this SP in place.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:56 PM
  •  

Ray,

You will not be able to view SP3's build # in "About Windows." In msinfo32, you can, but you must look under the "System Summary" branch where you can then view the "Hardware Abstraction Layer" and then you'll get the full version info.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Thanks that was very useful

I have Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    which should be OK

It would be useful if 'beta' could always be incuded in non final version numbers, including download files.

I think there are quite a few on this forum who would have had less cause to contact the forum if this had been the case

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:38 PM
  • That is right

The build numbers are displayed in winver during development of service packs.

With the release of SP3, winver would now show Service Pack 3 and no Build number (except 2600, which is the NT sub version for Windows XP).

msinfo32 shows the complete version as "Hardware Abstraction Layer"

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:05 PM
  • When I right click the SP3 download file and look at Version, why am I still showing the exact same 6.2.0029.0 (SRV03_QFE.031113-0918) for what I just downloaded and build 3311 from weeks back?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Is there any way to view this information from the DOS prompt?  Not the one you access from within windows, but the one you boot up to?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:23 PM