Where do I find My Network Places in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My Network Places in W7, can't find it.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:35 PM

Answers

• When I open Network on Windows 7, this is what I see:

That's as close to the XP style My Network Places as you're going to get with Windows 7.

Rich
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:58 AM
  • In Windows 7, File Types tab has been moved from Folder Options to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations.

But the "Confirm open after download" checkbox has been removed. There is a similar checkbox under Internet properties\Advanced\Notify when downloads complete. After check it, you will get a File Download – Security Warning dialog box when downloading. There are Run, Save and Cancel options. You may click Run and check the “Close this dialog box when download completes” to reach the target.

There are many differences and improvements between Windows XP and Windows 7, I would like to recommend you to read the Windows 7 Product Guide. After that, I think you will be familiar with Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:34 AM

All replies

• Right-click the Orb (Start) > Properties > Start Menu Tab > Scroll down and put a tick in Network. It will now be displayed in the right pane when you right-click the Orb.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like to drop a snippit in here to show you the panel but if you have access to an xp machine and invoke the My Network Places panel you will see what I'm after. Thanks so much for the response I really appreciate it. So far I'm happy with W7 aside from the few little caveats. One other issue I'm trying to run down is the file type editor under the folder options which is under control panel. in XP there is an advanced button that puts you in the edit file type screen and allows you to enable/disable the "Confirm open after download" checkbox. This is something that I need to disable for one of the applications. Any hints as to where I would find this would be very helpful as well. Thanks again.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:54 PM
  • When I open Network on Windows 7, this is what I see:

That's as close to the XP style My Network Places as you're going to get with Windows 7.

Rich
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:58 AM
  • In Windows 7, File Types tab has been moved from Folder Options to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations.

But the "Confirm open after download" checkbox has been removed. There is a similar checkbox under Internet properties\Advanced\Notify when downloads complete. After check it, you will get a File Download – Security Warning dialog box when downloading. There are Run, Save and Cancel options. You may click Run and check the “Close this dialog box when download completes” to reach the target.

There are many differences and improvements between Windows XP and Windows 7, I would like to recommend you to read the Windows 7 Product Guide. After that, I think you will be familiar with Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:34 AM
  • As well as reading the product guide, read the threads in this forum.  You'll see that a lot of what microsoft claims to be "improvements" are not so considered by the community of users....
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:38 PM