none
Exchange 2003 Migration to 2010, 2003 database Dirty Shutdown mid-migration

Question

• Exchange 2003 SP2 migration to Exchange 2010 SP1. 

Started moving mailboxes over to new server.  2003 Server decided to freeze on me during the move, I have about 20 of 59 mailboxes now on Exchange 2010.  When I restarted the 2003 from the freeze, the DB is in a dirty shutdown state.  Found no solutions to mount correctly, eseutil kept returning a -1020 ESE Jet_ERR stating a page in the DB was not valid, so I'm in the middle of a hard recovery from the previous nights backup hoping I can at least get the 2003 database re-mounted.

Once the database has been restored in 2003 and mounted I will have mailboxes which were already moved over to the 2010 server restored on the 2003 server... What am I to do?  Will this cause any issues?  I obviously want to finish moving the remaining mailboxes and be done with this nightmare :(

Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can follow the steps provided below to fix your dirty shutdown problem.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/109

>. So technically, they will have two database locations for the same mailbox. Will ESM recongnize this?

If the mailbox has been sucessfully moved to exchange 2010, exchange will recongnize that the mailbox for the user is now located in Exchange 2010.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:44 AM

All replies

• Once the Database is mounted on 2003 there shouldn't any issue in moving mailbox.

If see any error or something (Which i don't expect to see) Please post it.

Cheers,

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Will I have to move the mailbox again? It will already exist in Exchange 2010, and after this restore process, the original mailbox will again reside in 2003. So technically, they will have two database locations for the same mailbox. Will ESM recongnize this?

Example:
    Jason was moved yesterday. Jason's mailbox now resides on Exchange 2010. 2003 crashed. I restored the 2003 backup from the previous night and replayed all the log files. Database in 2003 mounts. Jason's mailbox was 'restored' on 2003, but his true mailbox is on 2010 now.

----

In any case, NTBACKUP is almost finished restoring. I'll keep you posted.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:29 AM
  • hi,

on your exchange server 2003, in the location of database clean all the log files except chk file. (before doing this please copy paste your exc db to another location). and delete the exchange db too from this location.

and then restart your exchange information store. it will create new log files and new database. and then copy your old database on new one. 

then use eseutil to take it to clean shutdown.

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com | Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!!
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

you can follow the steps provided below to fix your dirty shutdown problem.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/109

>. So technically, they will have two database locations for the same mailbox. Will ESM recongnize this?

If the mailbox has been sucessfully moved to exchange 2010, exchange will recongnize that the mailbox for the user is now located in Exchange 2010.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Hi

if you want to move only configuration (not mailbox data) of user object that reside on exchange 2010 to exchange 2003

you must run this shell command with EMS.

get-mailbox Jason | set-mailbox -server "exc2003"    (previously exchange 2007 shell command is Move-mailbox with -configurationonly)

hope, this help you.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:21 AM