Sequence Oracle Client 11g (Installer : ODTwithODAC1120320_32bit) on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have requirement where my VB6 legacy application needs to connect to an Oracle database, the provider the legacy application uses is OraOLEDB.Oracle, I have already succeeded in sequencing the legacy application, however no success with the oracle client.

I would like to sequence the Oracle Data Access Component for Oracle Client 11.2.0.3.20, which has the required OLEDB driver either as middleware or standard application, so that I can use the DSC tool to set the dependency for my already sequenced application package.

If someone can provide me with the correct recipe to do this is greatly appreciated.

Details

Application Name: Oracle Client 11g

Application Version: Oracle Data Access Component for Oracle Client 11.2.0.3.20 (ODTwithODAC1120320_32bit)

Sequencer Version: 4.6.1.20870

Operating System To Be Sequenced On: Windows XP SP3

Client Operating Systems To Be Successfully Deployed To: Windows 7 64 bit

Shailesh

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

Yes I did follow the recipe you have mentioned,

1. TNS_ADMIN: Created environmental variable and set the value for it to point to a folder of the root C:\OraFiles, which has the TNSNAMES.ora file
    2. Dummy System DSN: I tried sequencing with the following options
      1. Not at all creating the dummy system dsn
      2. Having the dummy system dsn by first installing the oracle client on my VM which creates client_1 and then running the sequencer to install client_2
      3. Having the dummy system dsn by first installing the oracle client on my VM, then uninstalling the oracle client,rebooting the system and then running the sequencer to install client_1

However the sequencer crashes at the stage “Collecting system changes”. This is the description of the error recorded in the Application event logs “Faulting application sftrbt.exe, version 4.6.1.20870, faulting module sftrbt.exe, version 4.6.1.20870, fault address 0x000142bb”, I am left with no other choise but to return my VM to a clean state and start all over.

Regards,

Shailesh.

Shailesh

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:13 PM

• Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Thanks, it worked as suggested by you, summarizing the recipe here.

1. Environmental variable TNS_ADMIN to point to a folder of the root such as C:\SomeFolder
    2. Dummy System DSN , create a dummy system dsn and make it point to some  non existant SQL server.
    3. Test with the latest release for the sequencer download available on the following url : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2738315?wa=wsignin1.0

Shailesh

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:29 PM