Ridiculously long boot times after batch of windows updates RRS feed

• Question

• A little while ago I started going through all the updates windows was offering me, and started installing them Batch by batch every night. After one of the previous batches I installed I rebooted my computer and found that it wasn't getting past the windows loading screen (the first screen after post.) I shut down my computer and tried it again this time just giving me the option to launch startup repair or try and boot normally, so I tried startup repair. After 30 minutes nothing happened so I tried booting regularly again. I timed the boot and getting from post to login screen took 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Does anyone know why?

Things to note:

-Due to me blindly assuming the idea behind windows updates were to prevent your computer from breaking and not, you know, break it, I never created system restore points previous to the computer breaking update batch. 

-Although it could be a driver problem it definitely isn't a hardware problem, my boots were less than 20 seconds before this.

-I can totally go grab boot logs or whatever if it is necessary to solve the problem, but I don't know how to do that so I need instructions. 

Thanks!

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:48 AM

Answers