What can I delete in Services Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I am customizing the Change Request templates and see it has an option to delete. I am weary of using the option as this Template is an out of the box template. I have seen that the delete option is available in other locations in the application but when looking at the list items help for things like the Area: field in the drop down menu for change request or the Classification category: in the incident it says not to delete items as they are attached to a GUID that can cause issues if they are removed. What is the rule of thumb here?

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:22 PM

All replies

• You can delete templates as you wish. Even the out of the box templates. If there are drop downs set in that template, they will not be deleted. If you try to delete a template and its used or called in a workflow, you will get an error message saying you can not delete the template because its referenced in a workflow.

In terms of list items, yes... each list item is assigned a GUID in the database. If you delete a list item and then create a new list item for "area" then it will delete the old GUID and create a new one. There is nothing wrong with this, but best practice is to merely change the display name of the existing list item. Then you can add additional list items that may be unique to your process/orgnization. This will create new GUIDs.

If you try to delete a list item that is used in a workflow, it will not let you delete that list item unless you remove it from all dependencies (like in workflows).

Hope that makes sense

Greg

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:18 PM