Explorer Crashing Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the same problem as the user in this post that was locked but with one important difference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/41ac685f-dcef-476c-8e0a-fa85a81306f9?prof=required

The difference is that I am NOT running any leaked, pre-release updates, I am running stock x64 RTM that I downloaded off of Microsoft Connect. I verified the SHA of the ISO when I downloaded it and I verified it when I burned it to the DVD.

This is my second clean install where I have experienced the exact same problem: Whenever I use ctrl + shift to launch anything in Administrative Mode explorer.exe crashes within 10-15 seconds. I have no idea what's causing this to happen I just finished setting up this install about 20 minutes ago so it can't be a result of accumulated ____ build up or any kind of Virus/Mallware.

With the exception of two programs, everything I have installed is production software. The only Beta bits are Microsoft Security Essentials and Office 2010 C2R. If by some miracle this is resolved, and it relates to one of the two items mentioned above I will, of course, report it through the proper channels.

Thank you for any help or suggestions,

Anthony Castanza
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi all,
       I have inspected the crash dump and determined the root cause of the crash to be related to Security Essentials Beta. I'm communicating with that team to get this issue addressed as soon as possible.
    Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

Alexander Sklar
       Windows Serviceability Client Platform Development Team
    The information provided in this post is provided "as is", with no warranties and confers no rights
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:36 AM
    Answerer
  • This bug is fixed in the RTM version that was pushed out today, and is also available on the Security Essentials website. After performing the auto update and reboot as instructed by the program the bug is gone and everything is running smoothly. :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:15 AM

All replies

• I thought I might add the related Error from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9bb
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
    Exception code: 0xc000071f
    Fault offset: 0x000000000006f1ac
    Faulting process id: 0x106c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca2f757af2cc7f
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: fa3cd71f-9b80-11de-9442-0021866e1362
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Give us some hardware specs.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Pavilion tx2500 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS (newest available from HP)
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Dual monitor configuration, Internal + External VGA set to extend.

Anything else?

-Anthony

Edit: Thought that I might mention that I didn't experience this in either the Beta or RC
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:12 AM
  • You limit beta software to be the only software that can cause poor performance but released software can also cause undesired effects. And this is happens frequently, especially on a new operating system when the software providers have not had ample time to or haven't gotten around to revising the bits. So don't rule out non-beta software as the cause of poor performance.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Thats not why I'm ruling out released software, I'm ruling it out because my standard install set hasn't changed much except for them all through 7 Beta and RC and i didn't experience any issues, both MSE and C2R are new enough that I added them for the first time after I began running RTM, which is where I'm experiencing Problems. And anything else I added wasn't until after I noticed the crashing bug, which means that It couldn't possibly be responsible. (Though upon rereading my original post I should have made that clearer)

Everything I've got is pretty standard and unlikely to cause problems
    Adobe Flash
    EVEREST Ultimate (One of the best pieces of software I've ever bought, and I highly recommenced it to anyone who likes tinkering with their Systems)
    Foxit Reader
    Java
    MSFT File Transfer Manager
    Microsoft Math
    Silverlight
    Firefox
    Windows Live Essentials
    WinRAR
    Visual Studio 2008 Pro
    MSE
    Office '10 C2R

Additionally, the last two have the deepest integration with the System, and are unreleased which makes them far more likely to have previously undetected side effects.

-Anthony
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please also run SFC to check if there is any file corrupted.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Meanwhile, please boot the system to Clean Boot and check if the issue persists.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista (This also works for Windows 7.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Anthony Castanza Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:32 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Ran sfc (twice) according to it, nothing is wrong. When I have more time with my computer I'll do the clean boot.

And although you marked your post as an answer, an answer it is not, after sfc found no integrity violations it is merely the next troubleshooting step.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:31 AM
  • You can also try booting to safe mode and also VGA mode to see if it's from Video hardware.

Below is a description of the exception:

1823 0xC000071F

A threadpool worker thread enter a callback, which left with preferred languages set.
    This is unexpected, indicating that the callback missed clearing them.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Well I booted into (standard, not with networking or anything like that) safe mode and, following the exact same steps, explorer crashed the exact same way.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Have you tried removing those last two programs on your list?

Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Hi Anthony - could you tell me what the bucket ID for this crash is? Here's how to find out:

1)            Start | type View all problem reports in the search box | enter when it brings up the control panel application

2)            On the bottom of the window, click View problem reports and responses

3)            Scroll down to the hang or crash report that was sent in | double click the entry

4)            Scroll down to the bottom of the report for the Bucket ID

Thanks,

Alexander Sklar
    The information provided in this post is provided "as is", with no warranties and confers no rights

Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Reproed again today at 9:05 PM

Bucket ID:    6747046
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Thanks, I am looking at the crash dumps and will let you know what I find out.

Alexander Sklar
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Anthony for the information. I've looked at the crash dump and the reason why the crash happens is understood. However, by the time the crash happens, there is no information about _who_ is causing the condition that produces the crash, so I am trying to reproduce the problem in our environment.

- can you give examples of things you're running? especially apps that ship with Windows
    - does this repro with any app you try to launch elevated from the start menu?
    - are these locations indexed?
    - what are your UAC (user account control) settings?
    - are you running explorer elevated as well?
    - Can you try temporarily uninstalling the following (to rule out possible culprits) and try to reproduce the problem: UltraISO, Security Essentials
    - If the problem still happens after uninstalling these, would you be able to run Application Verifier and add explorer.exe to the list of verified applications? This will usually make the crash happen sooner so we have more information about the culprit. You can get appverifier from here.
    Thanks,

Alexander Sklar
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:53 PM
    Answerer
  • exe's that cause the crash seem to be confined to apps that launch from system32, unfortunately while only exe's from system32 cause it, not all of them do, for example, sticky notes, Paint, and Windows Explorer (and anything that launches in an explorer shell, like WU) don't cause explorer to crash but The Malicious Software Removal Tool, command prompt, regedit (still testing others) will.

I've tried repros with UAC at the default settings and with UAC at the lowest level and the crash occurs with both (currently using Default).
    Explorer is using whatever the Default is, which considering that it is running under my username would be non-elevated.

While I don't have UltraISO installed (and never have...) I will uninstall MSE as soon as I get a chance and report back. Since I just moved it might be a day or two before I get a chance.

-Anthony
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:04 AM
  • +1 with the same repro, which is quite consistent. It seems that MSE is the culprit:

Below is the problem signature:
    Problem Description:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH
      Application Name:                explorer.exe
      Application Version:             6.1.7600.16385
      Application Timestamp:       4a5bc9bb
      Fault Module Name:            ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version:          6.1.7600.16385
      Fault Module Timestamp:    4a5be02b
      Exception Code:    c000071f
      Exception Offset:  000000000006f1ac
      OS Version:           6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:              1033
      Additional Information 1:     3edf
      Additional Information 2:     3edf0feac74021b377b392a0115d74c0
      Additional Information 3:     bf41
      Additional Information 4:     bf41409fee27240aa0d3cd0ee9bc9fa9

Thanks,
    Erum Saba
    Windows Serviceability Client Platform Test Team

Friday, September 25, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Hi all,
       I have inspected the crash dump and determined the root cause of the crash to be related to Security Essentials Beta. I'm communicating with that team to get this issue addressed as soon as possible.
    Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

Alexander Sklar
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:36 AM
    Answerer
  • That's fantastic! It's great to finally have a diagnosis, with any luck they will get this taken care of before MSE goes live.
    I think these forums might have been more efficient to get this resolved than some of the Connect Betas I've been a part of.
    Should I post this in the Feedback section of the Security Essentials Beta site or is your communication with the team more than enough?

I am thoroughly impressed with the way this was handled, thank you all very much, especially Alexander and Erum!

If you need anyone externally to test the update let me know, I look forward to seeing the end of this bug.

-Anthony

Saturday, September 26, 2009 5:31 AM
  • This bug is fixed in the RTM version that was pushed out today, and is also available on the Security Essentials website. After performing the auto update and reboot as instructed by the program the bug is gone and everything is running smoothly. :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:15 AM
  • I am able to confirm resolution on this.  You actually don't even have to reboot.  It seems to have reloaded all the files without the reboot being needed.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue on x64 and I have posted a complete list of everything I have gone through. I also have the application crash dumps that
    someone had me create and I have 9 of them plus Process Monitor logs. Can someone please find out why a machine with next to nothing installed
    crashes Explorer. By the way this has only happend on x64 and does not happen on x32 from two plus days of testing.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/f2403318-7bc0-44ca-975b-9ea8db11e779/

Here are my logs and dumps http://rapidshare.com/files/306695076/Logs.zip

Right now installed (and I had less during the crashes)

During crashing
    Opera 10
    Firefox 3.55

All apps below where added after the crash dumbs
    Winamp 5.56
    Creative Labs XFI drivers (latest build)
    CFI Shelltoys 7.01
    Debugging Tools for x64

People have pointed out Firefox as the issue but Mozilla is saying they cannot fix why Explorer is crashing. I am not sure who is to blame but I am putting
    this out there for someone to help solve. I am not alone and there are many others out there.

I hope someone can view those dumps and if that is not the best way to get application crashes then please direct me on how to get the best information

thanks
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:48 AM