trace32 during OSD? RRS feed

• Question

• So here's a crazy idea; how can I run trace32 during OSD and have it display a log file in real time?

I know I can simply run a command line with the path to trace32.exe file along with a file name to open, but it will probably interfere with the TS. I know TS waits for all programs to close before it can restart (or wait for the program to return a successful return code before proceeding to the next step in TS). It may get stuck if it sees trace32.exe is still running. I might be completely wrong.

Has anyone done it before?

Mayur
    Monday, May 3, 2010 10:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks Scott. The task sequence progress window does not give much insight into whats going on behind the scene. Plus, every time a TS fails I need to manually open the trace program and then open the log file in it. When someone is doing this we are also assuming they know where the trace program and the log files are.

This is not really something that's a must, but something that will be good to have.

Mayur

Well I'd start with how often is the TS failing?  It should not be failing frequently enough that this is really necessary.  If it is failing frequently, then perhaps there is something that should be looked into on an engineering front, as to why... this is not something that should happen.  If it's not that frequent, then this is normal.  A small percentage of failures are imminent so there's really no reason to invest time to investigate these failures.  The best we can do is mitigate the failures by insuring that all the drivers are loading correctly and not continuously updating the TS (updating the TS will cause any running TS processes to fail).

was it this one Scott?

http://www.deploymenttech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=242:trojan-horse-in-sccm-&catid=34:blog&Itemid=1

cheers

niall

No this is not the one I was thinking about actually.  I was referring more to WinPE without the specific customization around SCCM.  I *think* you can modify the startnet.cmd file in the WinPE WIM file, although I have never tried modifying a WIM file directly associated with SCCM in this way, so it may or may not work.

Mayur, please go by my previous comments first, but assuming you are die-hard about making this happen, take a look at the startnet.cmd file and this document: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303906 .

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:49 AM

All replies

• Two ways:

1. Just connect to C$ on the machine remotely and run it via another machine (this is assuming that the machine is far enough along in the TS that this will work)...

2. Enable Command Line Support on the WinPE image which is applied to your TS, redeploy it to the DP's.  Then while the TS is running hit F8, and execute the command manually.  The advantage here is that the TS will not reboot the machine until the command prompt window has been closed, which makes it easier to keep something open while you're troubleshooting a single step in the TS.

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Monday, May 3, 2010 11:27 PM
  • The TS engine only waits for the programs that it itself ran. If you have another process running in WinPE (e.g., Trace) the only time that the TS will stall is when doing a reboot. You need to close Trace and the command-prompt for the TS to proceed with the reboot.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:55 AM
  • here ya go

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/747-add-trace32-exe-to-your-boot-wim/ and as Kerwin says once the command prompt is open the ts will not be allowed (for example) to reboot the computer, once you close the command prompt (by typing exit for example) it will continue with the TS

cheers

niall

My step by step SCCM Guides
    windows-noob on Twitter
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:10 AM
  • I am trying to work around everything you guys already mentioned here.

I am trying to manipulate the TS to automatically open a log file (smsts.log for example) while the TS is running and close it when it needs to reboot. So basically instead of only seeing the TS progress status window, you can also see the log file at the same time.

Mayur
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:32 PM
  • There is no way you can do this as part of the TS... There might be a way to do it with one of the WinPE startup scripts, but that would require direct modification of the WinPE WIM file, and some more research.. I remember there being a way to do this but not exactly how offhand.  Although, I don't know if there would be a way to find out when the machine is rebooting and close the log file.  If it's not closed then the TS will stall at reboot.

Why are you trying to do this?

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:01 AM
  • There is no way you can do this as part of the TS... There might be a way to do it with one of the WinPE startup scripts, but that would require direct modification of the WinPE WIM file, and some more research.. I remember there being a way to do this but not exactly how offhand.  Although, I don't know if there would be a way to find out when the machine is rebooting and close the log file.  If it's not closed then the TS will stall at reboot.

Why are you trying to do this?

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant

Thanks Scott. The task sequence progress window does not give much insight into whats going on behind the scene. Plus, every time a TS fails I need to manually open the trace program and then open the log file in it. When someone is doing this we are also assuming they know where the trace program and the log files are.

This is not really something that's a must, but something that will be good to have.

Mayur
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Scott. The task sequence progress window does not give much insight into whats going on behind the scene. Plus, every time a TS fails I need to manually open the trace program and then open the log file in it. When someone is doing this we are also assuming they know where the trace program and the log files are.

Mayur

Well I'd start with how often is the TS failing?  It should not be failing frequently enough that this is really necessary.  If it is failing frequently, then perhaps there is something that should be looked into on an engineering front, as to why... this is not something that should happen.  If it's not that frequent, then this is normal.  A small percentage of failures are imminent so there's really no reason to invest time to investigate these failures.  The best we can do is mitigate the failures by insuring that all the drivers are loading correctly and not continuously updating the TS (updating the TS will cause any running TS processes to fail).

was it this one Scott?

http://www.deploymenttech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=242:trojan-horse-in-sccm-&catid=34:blog&Itemid=1

cheers

niall

No this is not the one I was thinking about actually.  I was referring more to WinPE without the specific customization around SCCM.  I *think* you can modify the startnet.cmd file in the WinPE WIM file, although I have never tried modifying a WIM file directly associated with SCCM in this way, so it may or may not work.

Mayur, please go by my previous comments first, but assuming you are die-hard about making this happen, take a look at the startnet.cmd file and this document: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303906 .

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:49 AM