Lync intergration with third party PBX RRS feed

• Question

• I want to implement the scenario below, I dont have clear picture whether it is techinicall possible in the state of the art solution or not.

First I have one third party PBX, which is interconnected with Lync server. I configure the binding relationship between one IP Phone registerred in the third party PBX and one Lync clinet under Lync server. Eg, number 1000 is registered in third party PBX and number 2000 is registered in Lync server. When someboday call 1000, both 1000 and 2000 can ring simutanesouly since this can be configured on the third party PBX, similary whenever 2000 is called, both 1000 and 2000 can also ring at the same time since this cabapility is provided also by Lync server.

But I want to implement that after the call is initiated from Lync client after some inquery into the contact list and a specific contact number is selected, the IP Phone binded to this Lync number also will ring and act as the caller to call the other side. Eg, when 3000 is selected on Lync (number 2000), 1000, which is the IP Phone under the third party PBX will call 3000.

Please kindly suggest the techinical solution or any techinial analysis is welcome. Thanks!

Monday, August 4, 2014 2:46 PM

Answers

• So, when you set up RCC, Lync sends the command to the IP PBX, the IP Phone knows which number to call because it understands that language from Lync  Typically the PBX supplier has this feature that is known to work with Lync.  If the PBX supplier doesn't have this, but they do have TAPI support, I've seen some third party products that can convert the Lync RCC language into TAPI and send it to the unsupported PBX.  Estos used to have a good one, but I haven't played with it in a while: http://www.estos.com/products/drivers-middleware/callcontrolgateway400.html

So for Legacy PBXs, usually they don't supply anything that will connect with Lync, so that's where you'll need the RCC->TAPI gateway if TAPI is available from your PBX.  If it's not, then you're stuck with the calling between them (1000, 2000), but you couldn't control the PBX IP Phone with your Lync client.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maple Zheng Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:48 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 7:56 PM

All replies

• You have to be careful if both the PBX and Lync are configured to simultaneously ring eachother.  It can be done, but you'll have to build some intelligence around this so that the PBX doesn't cause Lync to ring, which in turn rings the PBX again and creates a loop or ends up in voicemail quickly.

The second part, where a call made from Lync makes the IP PBX call 3000, you can't do that with enterprise voice.  If your PBX supports a gateway which will allow for RCC connectivity with Lync or gives you a plugin that works with Lync you could make this happen, but typically you wouldn't use this combined with the first example you gave.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:23 PM
  • thanks very much for the reply, the suggestion to the first part is indeed quite helpful and might avoid some nasty problems in advance!

for the second part, other colleagues also informed me the possibility to use RCC to implement this scenario. But the detailed techinical principle is still beyond my ken. When a contact is selected on Lync client, how does the IP Phone know which number to call? There should be some way that the Lync client pass the called number information to the IP Phone, right? Also is it realistic that Lync can intergrate with all legacy PBXs, or a certian interconnectio certificate is needed?

I am catching up on related topics of Lync RCC, is there any other well-explained documents to illustrate how it works under the hook?

many thanks again!

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:32 PM
  • So, when you set up RCC, Lync sends the command to the IP PBX, the IP Phone knows which number to call because it understands that language from Lync  Typically the PBX supplier has this feature that is known to work with Lync.  If the PBX supplier doesn't have this, but they do have TAPI support, I've seen some third party products that can convert the Lync RCC language into TAPI and send it to the unsupported PBX.  Estos used to have a good one, but I haven't played with it in a while: http://www.estos.com/products/drivers-middleware/callcontrolgateway400.html

So for Legacy PBXs, usually they don't supply anything that will connect with Lync, so that's where you'll need the RCC->TAPI gateway if TAPI is available from your PBX.  If it's not, then you're stuck with the calling between them (1000, 2000), but you couldn't control the PBX IP Phone with your Lync client.

• Marked as answer by Maple Zheng Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:48 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 7:56 PM
  • many thanks for the reply!
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:48 AM