Disabled a USB port - now can't re-enable - suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

One of the USB ports on my laptop was recently damaged and I can't use it.  I decided to disable it just in case.  In device manager it looks easy enough to disable so I assumed that it would be equally easy to re-enable.  However, I couldn't tell which of the three was the damaged port.  I tried one but it turned out to be the wrong one.

My problem now is that there's no option to re-enable.  I've tried uninstalling the port and then restarting the computer.  While the port itself gets re-installed it doesn't re-enable.

For clarification, before disabling the options when I right-clicked the port were as follows: Update Driver Software..., Disable, Uninstall; Scan for hardware changes; Properties.

Now I have all of those options (minus disable) for the port that I disabled.  How do I re-enable this port?

Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

• I just had the same problem.  I disabled one usb port that turned out to be my mouse.  The only way to get that usb port back was to do a restore from an earlier point and of course move my mouse to a different port so I could actually do that.  Now the disable and enable are still missing but the port works.  I'm sorry to say that you will probably have to reinstall windows or something although I haven't tried that and don't think I will because at least it works.  I'm running windows 7 64 premium.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:38 AM