when c drive is too full for windows upgrade. RRS feed

• Question

• My windows vista business hard drive is too full to do an upgrade. My c drive is small at 40gb. Currently has 1 gb space. One idea I have to upgrade (rather than fresh install), is to buy a 250gb drive and configure it as a mirrored drive (RAID 1). Can Vista Business be setup like this. If it can then I would mirror the 40gb onto the new 250gb disc, allow syncronization, break the mirror and boot on the 250gb disc, and continue with a windows 7 upgrade. PC is Dell Dimension 4600, 2gb RAM.
    Any help on this full disk situation would be appreciated.

Monday, July 20, 2009 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

As I know, Windows Vista doesn't have the built in tool for migrating the Operating System installation. For your requirement, you want to transfer data from your system disk to this new disk. Why don't you just attach the 250GB drive which has enough space to your computer and perform a clean installation on this drive, then use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer data to this new Operating System.

Meanwhile, based on my research, I would like to share an article with you.

How to: Duplicate any Windows installation to a new hard disk using only a Vista DVD (!)

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/12/07/100596.aspx

Note: we provide this link for references, there might be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't control and guarantee the security in this website.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:36 AM