Publishing server doesn't work - error 'The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client OS' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to setup an App-V environment in my lab.

I've used the App-V 5.0 Trial guide to help me configure all necessary components.

I'm able to install everything without error.

when come time to publish an app, it simply doesn't show up on my client.

after looking at events on the client and server, I found that the Publishing server is returning under Admin the following message.

'The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client OS'

My setup is pretty simple.

App-V Server managament and Publishing on the same box

App-V database on my SQL server.

I'm able to see the publishing "webpage" by using http:://localhost:889.

It only display this :

-<Publishing Protocol="1.0"

<Packages />

</Publishing>

I've published one app from the management console.

any idea what could mean this error?

thanks

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

• Make sure that your database for APP-V is set to allow snapshot isolation. Here is the SQL Statement to run against the database itself. (Insert your own DB named instance where it says AppVDatabase, do not remove the brackets.

ALTER DATABASE [AppVDatabase] SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON
    GO

This resolved my communication issues, and after running this against my database, everything started working without any errors.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you checked this article and followed the steps?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2778168

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

thanks for the link. I want throught all the tests.

1 things comes out of this.

- After publishing an app via the webpage http://localhost:888/console, I don't see any modification to the xml file from the webpage of the publishing server. It seems to stay to default.

Some additionnal info :

- my AppV package is working fine as I was able to test it with SCCM 2012 SP1

- I reinstalled the client to removed the management from SCCM 2012 ( reboot was done in between and after)

- Management server/Publishing is running Under Win2k8r2, which is a VM hosted on hyper-v (WinServer2012)

- Client is running Windows 8 rtm (desktop)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Hello,

I am really confused, which tests have you done on what node? I think your 1st remark is regarding step 5 in the article - but it seems to be an odd url and not performed from the client which the article tells you todo? Perhaps you can be a bit more detailed and clear on how you are performing the tests?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Ok I start again.

My setup :

Management and publishing server on the same box (Windows 2K8r2)

SQL database management running on a remote box

Client is a Windows 8 computer

Package : Adobe REader 11

The problem : Unable to receive published apps. I found that the Publishing server is returning in the Event Viewer under Applications\Microsoft\AppV\Server-Publishing\Admin the following error.

'The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client OS'

I've done all the test from the "How to troubleshoot publishing server"
    I follow the exact way suggested on the right computer.

Step 1 : publishing server is correctly configured on the client.

Step 2 : Firewall is OFF on all Workstations and servers

Step 3 : Publishing server site IS started on the Server

STep 4 : Publishing server application pool IS started on the Server

Step 6 : Perform a publishing server refresh is working fine without errors on the client

Step 5 is the one I see a problem with.

When accessing the publishing server URL, I can see the XML file, BUT it seems empty as it doesn't display my published app just as the exemple from Step 5, even if I published an app using the console.
    **copy of the xml displayed**
    - <Publishing Protocol="1.0">
      <Packages />
      </Publishing>

So I beleive that the problem comes from the Publishing server or maybe the communication between the management and publishing server

Hope it is more clear

thanks

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

This Error comes up with Event ID 215 when a packacke is imported but not published. Check your publish settings, please. If you are not member of the security group, even as administrator, the error comes up, too.

Keep also in mind, that the intervall to see a new published application is set to 10 minutes per default. This value could be set in the web.config file in the publishing server install directory. See App-V 5 basic troubleshooting.

/vkleinerde

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 26, 2012 1:31 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the link.

I've validated the suggested debug steps. It seems that the problem is with my Publish server again.

I've looked in the web.config file. It seems to be missing some parts compare to the example provided.

Again, I've published an application from the management console. Management and Publishing are running on the same box, while SQL is remote.

Here's the web.config

<?xml version="1.0" ?> 
    - <configuration>
    - <system.web>
      <compilation debug="false" targetFramework="4.0" /> 
      <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" /> 
    - <authentication>
    - <!--  We don't support form authentication, but this will supress x-ray security warning 
      --> 
      <forms requireSSL="true" /> 
      </authentication>
      </system.web>
    - <system.webServer>
    - <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true">
      <add name="UrlRoutingModule" type="System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" /> 
      </modules>
    - <security>
    - <requestFiltering>
    - <verbs>
      <remove verb="GET" /> 
      <add verb="GET" allowed="true" /> 
      </verbs>
      </requestFiltering>
      </security>
      </system.webServer>
    - <system.serviceModel>
      <serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" /> 
    + <behaviors>
    - <serviceBehaviors>
    - <behavior name="">
      <serviceAuthorization impersonateCallerForAllOperations="true" /> 
      <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="false" httpsGetEnabled="false" /> 
      </behavior>
      </serviceBehaviors>
      </behaviors>
    - <bindings>
    - <webHttpBinding>
    - <binding name="SecureBinding">
    - <security mode="Transport">
      <transport clientCredentialType="Windows" /> 
      </security>
      </binding>
      <binding name="UnsecureBinding" /> 
      </webHttpBinding>
      </bindings>
    - <protocolMapping>
      <add scheme="http" binding="webHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="UnsecureBinding" /> 
      <add scheme="https" binding="webHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="SecureBinding" /> 
      </protocolMapping>
    - <standardEndpoints>
    - <webHttpEndpoint>
    - <!-- 

Configure the WCF REST service base address via the global.asax.cs file and the default endpoint 
                via the attributes on the <standardEndpoint> element below

--> 
      <standardEndpoint name="" helpEnabled="true" automaticFormatSelectionEnabled="true" /> 
      </webHttpEndpoint>
      </standardEndpoints>
      </system.serviceModel>
      </configuration>

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hello,

Most likely you have not performed 1 or more steps from the following articles;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2012/05/08/walking-through-the-app-v-5-0-beta-server-setup-part-1.aspx

As a wild-guess - since you haven't really detailed your setup - I would verify the Register ASP.NET step and the _two_actions it details you to perform.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

I've followed that exact page for my first try. Then I tried to follow the Trial documentation.

I finally retried that blog post from scratch on another server.

The exact same thing happen.

The setup :

- Installing Management, Publishing and database on the same box

- Windows 2008 R2 SP1 in a virtual machine hosted by Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.

- All pre-req requesites are installed

- SQL 2008 SP3 CU4 for the database

- The user account specified in the setup is domain admin as well as SYSadmin in SQL

- Server as full admin rights to the share of the app

After the fresh install the following happen

-  I found that the Publishing server is returning in the Event Viewer under Applications\Microsoft\AppV\Server-Publishing\Admin the following error.

'The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client OS'. This happen as soon as I try to publish an app.

- Accessing the publishing web page give me a "default" xml even if an app as been imported and deployed

- Verifying the web.config Under the folder of Publishing Server. It seems to be missing something like previously reported.

I was trying to setup the lab for a client to see if he want to go on app-v or using VMware's solution. Not wondering much which he will choose :(

I'm clueless :|

The setup seemed so simple at first...It's really a shame the way the installation of the server, sequencer and client were designed. So picky on some requirement and doing an excellent job NOT providing those when some a years old releases... And also not validating some pre-reqs upon installation, while other are showstopper to the installation....

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hello,

There are several steps from guide which I don't know yet that you have performed. As an example of such - see Register ASP.NET which I mentioned in my reply earlier.

See this guide and verify if you have performed all the steps there;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2012/05/22/walking-through-the-app-v-5-0-beta-server-setup-part-2.aspx

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Yes i've done all the steps described in the article. ASP.NET registration, DSIM too.

It's a bit hard to follow an installation planned for BETA while I'm trying to install the RTM.

Can a requirement  has changed? a KB missing? unsupported version of SQL? OS?

thanks

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hello,

I followed these articles today using RTM bits and it worked flawlessly.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

and what is the setup you use? OS version, SQL version, latest Windows update? Any reboot that should be done that is not documented?

thanks

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Hello,

I have done it using both Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012. I updated a lot, but there are probably still more waiting to be applied. I have rebooted when something requested it.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

would it be possible for you the share a simple package you created and know that is working with App-V servers?

I'm wondering if the package I created might be the issue

I created a simple package for 7-zip.

I was able to distribute it successfully using SCCM 2012 Sp1. So I presume that my package is working fine. But their might be a problem with it to use with the APP-V servers.

I would be great if you could test it in your environment

Here it is 7-zip package on Skydrive

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hello,

You can setup a standalone machine and install the package via the MSI-file or Powershell cmdlets to test your package

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

your package runs fine in my test lab on a Single Server System deployed over SMB and HTTP.

/vkleinerde

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Thanks volkerkleiner for the test.

I must have a difference on my server installation.

Would you mind taking a screen shot of your Add/REmove program so I can compare with my setup?

Do you have UAC on?

Anything special set on your server?

thanks

btw : I'm in contact with someone @Microsoft on this issue...

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:54 PM
  • hi,

nothing special, just a standard install using Walking through the App-V 5.0 Beta Server Setup Part1 and Part2

/vkleinerde

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:43 AM
  • hello,

am experiencing the exact same issue. I just wanted to know if anyone could solve this problem?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Jonathan / KaiULM , I experienced a very similar issue to yours , and my solution was a change to the way the database was configured to handle the requests between the management and publishing servers. Prior to deep diving into my own scenario, could you tell me how you installed the database portion of App-V, since you mentioned it's on a separate SQL box and not on the same server as your management/publishing servers.

Can you also check the Errors in the server manager logs ( Server Manager > Diagnostics > Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > AppV > Server-Management [ and Sever-Publishing ] ) and share those with us.

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi Ilya, could you please explain your experience and your workaround about your SQL?

I'm experiencing the same issue and my DB has been installed using the APP-V 5 Server publishing ad management db feature only.

thank in advance

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Make sure that your database for APP-V is set to allow snapshot isolation. Here is the SQL Statement to run against the database itself. (Insert your own DB named instance where it says AppVDatabase, do not remove the brackets.

ALTER DATABASE [AppVDatabase] SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON
    GO

This resolved my communication issues, and after running this against my database, everything started working without any errors.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Thanks Ilya, this works fine for me!
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:04 AM
  • The beta guide works fine for me as well with all roles and SQL installed on Windows 2012. All rights are set to Administrator. I would recommend you trying this out instead of connecting to SQL on another box. I'm away from the lab so at the moment I cannot test your 7Zip package.

Eric | http://xenapptraining.com

• Proposed as answer by abas2 Monday, November 11, 2013 1:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by abas2 Monday, November 11, 2013 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:11 AM
  • You are a champion!! Just spent half a day troubleshooting this and this fix worked.... thank you!!!
    Monday, December 9, 2013 3:03 AM
  • I have the same problem, my publishing server only shows:

- <Publishing Protocol="1.0">
      <Packages />
     </Publishing>

I don't get any error message anywhere, the logs look great... but I can't get the packages to show on the publishing server.

Also the SQL statement works, but doesn't solve my problem...

has anyone else ideas where I could look for errors so I can at least try to find a solution? :(

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:32 AM
  • First, as your issue is 'clearly' different from the original one, I'd suggest to create a new thread.

There are various reasons why a publishing server doesn't return any info.

You might be to fast (10 minutes delay), you might be publishing to users vs. computers (or the other way around) or users or system may not have approproate permissions. You could try some of the steps from here, along with some guidenca that is refereneced there

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:14 AM
  • How is my problem different? I get the same Messages in the Event Viewer (214 and 215, "The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client version.", "The request URL doesn't contain the query string for the client OS.") and the publishing Page shows no packages even though they are implemented successfully on the management page.

I looked at all the information in your link already, but since it doesn't explain how the services actually work, it's not a big help in my case.

I found out now, that the Publishing Server pulls the XML into the Folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Server\Publishing", which is also does in my case, I can see the package in the XML.

So it's stuck somewhere between the pulling and the actually "putting the site up"... so it could also be a miss configuration / problem in the IIS.

I will look into it and keep you informed, but I'm always happy for more advice.

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Did this answer resolve your problem? I am having the same issue.

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:43 PM
  • I am unsure of the need to goto the client. If the publishing server itself is not working!
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:47 AM