Are updates stealing space? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 134 Gigs on my laptop (Win 7 64x) and every time I let the system install updates, I lose anywhere from 3-6 Gigs of space.  Is this normal?
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In addition, if you want to free some space, please go to Folder Options, check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”, click OK. Then open C: / drive, press Ctrl +A to select all files and right click Properties to see how much disk space is used.

Generally speaking, several factors can occupy the disk space. You may visit the following blog and know where the disk space goes.

Disk Space consumed by Windows 7

Also there are several ways to free disk space in Windows 7, please take the following methods:

1. Run Disk Cleanup.

2. Remove or uninstall unwanted programs.

3. Disable page files.

4. Disable System Restore.

5. Disable Hibernation.

6. Remove unwanted Windows Features.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:47 AM

All replies

• Yes its normal, because when the system updates install on ur computer they use some space and storage in Winsxs folder to restore or unistall this updates.

Regards

I want to be a MVP! | Computer Technician - MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008

Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:29 PM
  • No is the simple answer to your question. Updates rarely are measured in gigabytes and most monthly updates would not amount in total to anything like a gigabyte.

What could take up quite bit of space are the system restore points which are created each month when you update. Selectively removing these needs to be part of a weekly maintenance routine, assuming you have one. Disk CleanUp will remove all but the latest restore point. cCleaner will remove any you select, except the most recent restore point.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, if you want to free some space, please go to Folder Options, check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”, click OK. Then open C: / drive, press Ctrl +A to select all files and right click Properties to see how much disk space is used.

Generally speaking, several factors can occupy the disk space. You may visit the following blog and know where the disk space goes.

Disk Space consumed by Windows 7

Also there are several ways to free disk space in Windows 7, please take the following methods:

1. Run Disk Cleanup.

2. Remove or uninstall unwanted programs.

3. Disable page files.

4. Disable System Restore.

5. Disable Hibernation.

6. Remove unwanted Windows Features.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:47 AM