none
experiences with the maximium number of scopes on a 2k12 r2 DHCP server RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

we want to merge some DHCP Server to one.  Apart from all the trouble and questions, one thing stays unanswered: How many scopes can you put on a Intel E5-2630 v2 / 64GB RAM Windows 2012 R2 DHCP Server?

Currently it has the following statistics (in 300 hours):

Discovers: 350361
    Offers: 339860
    Requests: 560498
    Acks: 410264

Scopes: 2073

Now we want to add another 2000 Scopes. Do you thing we get any trouble with that?

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Maximilian,

Based on your stats, you're averaging around 0.52 transactions per second. The test Gleb referenced is sustaining a 500 transactions per second throughput.

If you double your scope count, and assuming the lease duration and client behaviour is similar, you're going to go up to perhaps one-and-a-bit transactions per second, in which case I can't see any reason for operational concern.

As Gleb pointed out, remote MMC administration will be painful but this isn't a reflection on DHCP operations.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maximilian Wiedemann Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:34 PM
  • As far as I know there is no hard limit on number of scopes you can create, so it will only be limited by the performance of the underlying server and network hardware, as well as, by your backup/recovery time goals, number of clients, lease duration and your patience (DHCP MMC will get quite slow when you add 1000s of scopes)

Take a look at this blog post on scalability test of DHCP server - quite a thorough test.

Gleb.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:28 AM

All replies

• As far as I know there is no hard limit on number of scopes you can create, so it will only be limited by the performance of the underlying server and network hardware, as well as, by your backup/recovery time goals, number of clients, lease duration and your patience (DHCP MMC will get quite slow when you add 1000s of scopes)

Take a look at this blog post on scalability test of DHCP server - quite a thorough test.

Gleb.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Hi Maximilian,

Based on your stats, you're averaging around 0.52 transactions per second. The test Gleb referenced is sustaining a 500 transactions per second throughput.

If you double your scope count, and assuming the lease duration and client behaviour is similar, you're going to go up to perhaps one-and-a-bit transactions per second, in which case I can't see any reason for operational concern.

As Gleb pointed out, remote MMC administration will be painful but this isn't a reflection on DHCP operations.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maximilian Wiedemann Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:34 PM